OP
Billldg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one thing I do not like when it comes to GHL is the way they mount their float and photo sensors. A simple magnetic mount on a short piece of plastic will do. I am not a fan of their mounting system. I will send an email to @cromag27 about his float sensor mounting system, and maybe design one, if he wants, for the GHL sensors. I have a top from him and can I say that it is the...WELL...you understand, LOL!!!

I like simplicity, and the Octo Aquatic mounting system is exactly that. It works and nothing more.

I would like to add one to my mixing containers and one to my ATO container to start.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say that I recently learned that GHL no longer takes Paypal...UGH!!! I use Paypal for everything, especially their pay in 4 program. I hope GHL uses Paypal again as its my main payment program. ;)

I would have already ordered a Expansion 2 box if they took Paypal.

I HATE credit, and also hate dumping a ton a money at once, thus the Paypal pay in 4 program.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say that I recently learned that GHL no longer takes Paypal...UGH!!! I use Paypal for everything, especially their pay in 4 program. I hope GHL uses Paypal again as its my main payment program. ;)

I HATE credit, and also hate dumping a ton a money at once, thus the Paypal pay in 4 program.
Ordering through Reefbum is an option:

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I use the pay in 4 often also.

I have an expansion card in my cart to order from Reef Bum shipping is less expensive the the GHL store.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yea, the other day I had a Doser 2.1 pump stick on me. I ordered 3 maintenance kits, that way I can change them out and grease them every 3-4 months, or when I see fit. It can happen to any pump, its just a good habit to keep 1-3 rebuild kits on hand in case to quickly change them out. They are only $17 dollars each, so no big deal. You have to grease all pumps, it doesn't matter the name brand. We are just to lazy to do it...I know I am!!! ;):rolleyes:;Facepalm

I also keep 3 doser tubing kits as well.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a GHL Expansion 2 box. I already have a temp probe. I will need to order a conductivity probe though. I will not add a GHL 6E Energy bar right now as I already have the Apex at my mixing station. I will add it in due time though. ;)

I will likely make a cable up to connect the box as I ordered one originally, not thinking that it would be held up, with my IOND. I am talking about the 30m Pab cable.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Go through Reefbum

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does reefbum charge sales tax?

edit: I just added an item to my cart and went to checkout and it appears they don’t charge sales tax.
The rule on sales tax is essentially that the seller must a physical presence in the state of the buyer otherwise there is zero requirement to charge sales tax. Reefbum has it right, so do a few other retailers. Personally, i use those retailers everytime i can...

Some larger companies VOLUNTARILY collect sales tax from buyers in states the seller has no physical presence. It's pretty ridiculous and not in the consumer's best interest....

Curiously, if the seller collect the tax, does the buyer know its actually been paid to the state at issue if the seller has no physical presence in the buyer's state?

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one thing I do not like when it comes to GHL is the way they mount their float and photo sensors. A simple magnetic mount on a short piece of plastic will do. I am not a fan of their mounting system. I will send an email to @cromag27 about his float sensor mounting system, and maybe design one, if he wants, for the GHL sensors. I have a top from him and can I say that it is the...WELL...you understand, LOL!!!

I like simplicity, and the Octo Aquatic mounting system is exactly that. It works and nothing more.

I would like to add one to my mixing containers and one to my ATO container to start.
I would like a simple magnet sensor for my skimmer cup... If you get a simple magnet mounting accessories--let me know!

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the one thing I can not stand about the Apex Salinity probe. It has so many issues with microbubbles. I ordered, and it is currently being shipped, a GHL Expansion Box 2. I also ordered a GHL conductivity probe. All probes are subjected and influenced my microbubbles, BUT, I found that the Apex salinity probe if more effected by them than the GHL conductivity probe. I will add the GHL Expansion 2 box and salinity probe next weekend hopefully and get some actual data on both setup's. Below is a picture of the Apex salinity probe on my mixing station that the GHL gear will be installed.

Screenshot (237).png

I always use a Refractometer to test my mixing tanks, I just use a controller to make sure that the current salinity is maintained due to evaporation and such. It doesn't matter what the probe reads, it is up to YOU to know the difference and maintain it. The Apex probe is showing high initially, BUT, it didn't matter to me as I used a Refractometer. I just use the controller to let me know when the salinity and temp drops below what I want.

Last edited:

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious does anyone trust the salinity indicated from any controller probe? I don't... the GHL probe certainly not correct (tested against hydrometer and calibrated refractometer that matched).... and fluctuates... I see it as an "estimate" or if a drastic change occurred.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious does anyone trust the salinity indicated from any controller probe? I don't... the GHL probe certainly not correct (tested against hydrometer and calibrated refractometer that matched).... and fluctuates... I see it as an "estimate" or if a drastic change occurred.
I have tested both probes and I have seen that the GHL probe it more accurate compared to a Refractometer that was calibrated than the Apex probe. I have also seen that it is less likely to be effected my microbubbles. Maybe GHL has a better way to allow the bubbles to escape, I am not sure.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't doubt GHL is more accurate than Apex. (my buddy had three apex units totally brick out before he switched to GHL). I just don't really trust any of the conductivity probes based on my experience so far. My GHL probe reads on the display anywhere from 1.022 to 1.025. It concerned me obviously at first and i would test with refractomer and hydrometer. The odd ball is always GHL probe.

The water according to hydrometer and calibrated refractometer is 1.0255 with basically no variance ever.

So the GHL is always low, it just ranges on how much low. Since i use an tunze ATO, there are no changes s in my salinity, at least not that much, daily. My return flow is only 200 GPH on the 50 gallon system and there are no micro bubbles to speak of in the system. I run a filter roller so the water in the sump is very clean and there is no detritus build up that i notice. I do run bio-pellets now, and that could create a film, but i don't see any film and the GHL reading was off, as stated above, well before i added bio-pellets.

I may try putting a powerhead in the sump, aim it near the probes, and maybe that will help.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of right now, I am at 9% on my KHD reagent, it is alarming, and I am still getting consistent readings on my ALk. I will likely run it down to 1%-2% to see how it effects it, as long as the tubing is submerged in the reagent. I am liking what I am seeing so far when the reagent factor comes into play. I did notice a .8 DKH drop at around the 11% left mark, but it could be anything that caused that. It has since climbed back up from 7.9 DKH to 8.2 DKH. I am also doing 8 gal daily AWC's.

Screenshot (241).png

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will likely have to create a cable to connect the GHL Expansion box 2 with my P4. I already ordered a 30m Pab cable, but its part of my IOND order, SO, who knows when I will receive it. I already have a temp probe, and already ordered a conductivity probe and should get it by Thursday next week. I will try to get this up an running on my mixing station this weekend. I do like adding a GHL expansion 2 box to my mixing station. As @Ditto said to me in the past, it may be overkill, BUT, I will be able to add leak detection and so much more down the road. So I say, is it overkill? I am growing fond of GHL and the ability it give's me in monitoring my total tank application.

GHL has a ton more of innovation to come. Its just something to think about. ;)

Last edited:

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back