Apex conversion to GHL

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t hold your breath on receiving the ion director anytime soon :) I think you’ll be mostly pleased. I converted a couple years ago and believe it to be a worthwhile change. One major difference between the 2 is the programming for the P4 is “process oriented” (you build the process then assign the device) whereas the apex is device oriented where you program the process for the device. It took a little while to get used to the programming logic but now I wouldn’t go back. There are some great threads on here for converts. Good luck!

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t hold your breath on receiving the ion director anytime soon :) I think you’ll be mostly pleased. I converted a couple years ago and believe it to be a worthwhile change. One major difference between the 2 is the programming for the P4 is “process oriented” (you build the process then assign the device) whereas the apex is device oriented where you program the process for the device. It took a little while to get used to the programming logic but now I wouldn’t go back. There are some great threads on here for converts. Good luck!
Lol, I already knew that the wait was a bit for the IOND, but it is worth it. I also know that the programming will be a bit of a shock, BUT LIKE ANYTHING DIFFERENT, once you get used to it, it is no big deal.

Rst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i also have a full Apex system. I have recently ordered the Ion Director (direct from Germany) but don’t expect delivery for likely a long time. At first, I tried to contact GHL’s exclusive Canadian distributor(Exotic Reef) & it’s one retailer here(Bigshow operated by Exotic Reef), but unfortunately they were extremely unresponsive and didn’t seem to care about supporting this line of products.

It will be really interesting to compare both systems together.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to make the switch as well. What was the total cost all up?
For myself it will be over $4000 because of all the extras. It will take me a little while to get everything together. I already ordered a ProfiLux 4 Mega set, IOND with doser, KH Director with doser.

Rst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my case, I will only start with the Ion Director with Doser. If I am satisfied that the Ion Director works as expected(measurements only), I then plan on fully completing the system with ProfiLux 4 Mega set, KH Director with doser, along with a another Doser and flow meters, cables etc. That way if the IonD doesn’t pan out, my investment would be minimized.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my case, I will only start with the Ion Director with Doser. If I am satisfied that the Ion Director works as expected(measurements only), I then plan on fully completing the system with ProfiLux 4 Mega set, KH Director with doser, along with a another Doser and flow meters, cables etc. That way if the IonD doesn’t pan out, my investment would be minimized.
Talking to a few insiders that currently have the IOND and are now allowed to talk about it, they swear by the consistency of it. I was actually going to do exactly what you are doing and just order the IOND, but, ended up switching to GHL in the process, LOL!!!

Though I will end up shutting down a lot of my Apex, I will keep several things running, including my Trident to compare and share.

A lot of reefers are already heavily invested in Apex, and thus, have a hard time, financially, to convert. I totally understand this problem as I was thinking the same thing. I will try and help others by comparing the 2 and honestly telling fellow reefers if the change is worth the money. I will be neutral in my comparison, until, one shines above the other.

As a Mod, I have to be Neutral, as it is the nature of the position.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my current Apex module list that I will be converting to GHL. I actually have 2 more modules that I have not hooked up yet, as I had no need to yet. It was a Dos and another FMM module.

Screenshot (67).png

Rst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Talking to a few insiders that currently have the IOND and are now allowed to talk about it, they swear by the consistency of it. I was actually going to do exactly what you are doing and just order the IOND, but, ended up switching to GHL in the process, LOL!!!

Though I will end up shutting down a lot of my Apex, I will keep several things running, including my Trident to compare and share.

A lot of reefers are already heavily invested in Apex, and thus, have a hard time, financially, to convert. I totally understand this problem as I was thinking the same thing. I will try and help others by comparing the 2 and honestly telling fellow reefers if the change is worth the money. I will be neutral in my comparison, until, one shines above the other.

As a Mod, I have to be Neutral, as it is the nature of the position.
Your much braver that me LOL. Honestly, I had plans to buy the Mastertronic (I already have the Alkatronic & Dosetronic) and was told by my LRS that I was already put on CoralVue’s preorder list. But then, I stumbled on the new Ion probe and was very intrigued. So now I debated what to I do? Cancel the Mastertronic and use this new probe instead? Not as versatile as the Mastertronic, but this Ion probe is so much simpler. Only disadvantage is that the IonD doesn’t measure the much wanted phosphate measurement.☹️ For the time being I will keep my options open. I’ve ordered IonD and will decide my next step subject to results. Interesting times ahead.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your much braver that me LOL. Honestly, I had plans to buy the Mastertronic (I already have the Alkatronic & Dosetronic) and was told by my LRS that I was already put on CoralVue’s preorder list. But then, I stumbled on the new Ion probe and was very intrigued. So now I debated what to I do? Cancel the Mastertronic and use this new probe instead? Not as versatile as the Mastertronic, but this Ion probe is so much simpler. Only disadvantage is that the IonD doesn’t measure the much wanted phosphate measurement.☹️ For the time being I will keep my options open. I’ve ordered IonD and will decide my next step subject to results. Interesting times ahead.
You can always convert the Phosphorus to Phosphate, aka P04, thru a conversion. Worst comes to worst, I still have a Hanna ULR Phosphate checker. ;)

Last edited:

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Love my Alkatronic, but the Mastertronic seems to be engineered for a lot of maintenance and failure points.

Jonas and Eric need to come up with an organized ticket system other than their Facebook support.

Rst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my Alkatronic, but the Mastertronic seems to be engineered for a lot of maintenance and failure points.

Jonas and Eric need to come up with an organized ticket system other than their Facebook support.
Also love mine, but I totally agree. Years ago, their support was immediate and first class bar none. Sadly now I think they are somewhat overwhelmed and badly in need of better support.

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested in how this all plays out. I too am leaving the Neptune ecosystem but chose Hydros.

I bought a GHL Mitras and it is easily the worst software experience I've ever had. I'd rather go back to MS-DOS than deal with GHL again. So GHL was immediately out of the running for me.
I’m about to put my GHL system up for sale. I agree the software is a horrible experience (mostly because it’s so slow!!). Actually the entire ownership experience has felt terrible and outdated. The hardware quality seems excellent though, so it is bittersweet. I don’t have many other good things to say about it so I will leave it at that! :)

I’m seriously considering moving to Kasa power strips with an Alkatronic and/or a Pinpoint pH controller for my carx. I use Ranco for temp already. I guess I don’t see why I need a controller anymore.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along as I want to switch as well, currently have a very similar APEX setup as you
Is it true you need windows to set this up? I just read that in a review if somebody can confirm, not one windows device in our house

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m about to put my GHL system up for sale. I agree the software is a horrible experience (mostly because it’s so slow!!). Actually the entire ownership experience has felt terrible and outdated. The hardware quality seems excellent though, so it is bittersweet. I don’t have many other good things to say about it so I will leave it at that! :)

I’m seriously considering moving to Kasa power strips with an Alkatronic and/or a Pinpoint pH controller for my carx. I use Ranco for temp already. I guess I don’t see why I need a controller anymore.
This is my counterpoint, do you think GHL is looking into and coming up with a better option to the software? The software doesn't cause tank crashes, hardware issue's do...HMMM. I would give GHL some time to better the software. I am not being payed by GHL, as I am just a reefer like you and everyone else. I just understand that issue come up and they need time to be resolved. I am simply trying to give reefers the correct option to choose, nothing more. :)

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it true you need windows to set this up? I just read that in a review if somebody can confirm, not one windows device in our house
I have seen @Vinny@GHLUSA state that this is not true and that you can use a Apple device or Android device to set it up. I have also seen that you can use a PC to set it up. I may be wrong, as I am new to GHL, and have only started to read and view youtube videos on GHL, but I don't think I am wrong. @Ditto , @Vinny@GHLUSA , please correct me if I am wrong.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 48.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 48 53.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 23.3%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.0%
Back