Apex conversion to GHL

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seams like phone app issues are more prevelant on Apple devices, but maybe that's not the case. I run Android and have had no connectivity issues to speak of. I seldom login though, have no graphs on my dashboard and login local if at home.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seams like phone app issues are more prevelant on Apple devices, but maybe that's not the case. I run Android and have had no connectivity issues to speak of. I seldom login though, have no graphs on my dashboard and login local if at home
I have both and have had nothing but problems on both fronts. I have both a Apple and Android. The far above post was the problem with the GHL connectivity in the US!!! I am trying to make GHL better, its up to GHL to listen.

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have both, though I monitor the GHL on my Android. Not sure how how that applies to my last post though.

Apex is Apple driven, and yet, I have no issue connecting to my Apex with my Apple work phone and my Samsung S20+.

I also have no issue connecting with my Windows based desktop to my Apple based Apex system. I constantly have to close the MyGHL browser and reconnect to get it to work.
That was what I hated most about GHL. You think it would be an easy fix right? I will say this however, if your main gripe with GHL is connection speeds while with Apex it’s actual functionality, then you’re probably in a good place where you’re at right now . GHL should not be having these problems in 2021 but at least we know it “should” be an easy fix. Should bring key.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was what I hated most about GHL. You think it would be an easy fix right? I will say this however, if your main gripe with GHL is connection speeds while with Apex it’s actual functionality, then you’re probably in a good place where you’re at right now . GHL should not be having these problems in 2021 but at least we know it “should” be an easy fix. Should bring key.
I will not bash GHL, I will try to make them better. I DO feel they have a better platform. We just need to help them understand in a respectful way.

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I will not bash GHL, I will try to make them better. I DO feel they have a better platform. We just need to help them understand in a respectful way.
Hey I won’t bash them either. I’m a huge fan. Love their products. I personally think it is a better platform than Neptune. With users help, it can become substantially better.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both and have had nothing but problems on both fronts. I have both a Apple and Android. The far above post was the problem with the GHL connectivity in the US!!! I am trying to make GHL better, its up to GHL to listen.
Just wonder why such a disparity from my experience?

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wonder why such a disparity from my experience?
Mine never connects for hours, to minutes to days. Then connects fine or great. Also having to open and close the app. It's terrible. I have no issues with any other devices or wifi.

Manny's Reef and Billldg are nicer than me in commentary, i get to a point i want tear the ghl out and smash it...

Ghl needs to focus on the software, and fix its current product, before making and taking pre-orders and money on new gizmos IMO!

I just cant say much positive about the ghl controller when the interface prevents me from using it....

And its maddening when ghl's first comment is that the wifi must not be set up correct.... (A) its set up the way they tell me in numerous pages of instructions and (B) why it takes numerous pages of instructions is RE-GOD-dang-DICULOUS! lol

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine never connects for hours, to minutes to days. Then connects fine or great. Also having to open and close the app. It's terrible. I have no issues with any other devices or wifi.

Manny's Reef and Billldg are nicer than me in commentary, i get to a point i want tear the ghl out and smash it...

Ghl needs to focus on the software, and fix its current product, before making and taking pre-orders and money on new gizmos IMO!

I just cant say much positive about the ghl controller when the interface prevents me from using it....

And its maddening when ghl's first comment is that the wifi must not be set up correct.... (A) its set up the way they tell me in numerous pages of instructions and (B) why it takes numerous pages of instructions is RE-GOD-dang-DICULOUS! lol
I just want to help GHL become the best controller on the market. I really do like my GHL, their just are a few issues that we need to help them fix.

elcapitan1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just switched from Apex to Ghl and I’m loving the consistency and reliability of GHL, Plus the equipment seems and feels more robust, my Apex base unit was dropped 2 feet and shattered into a bunch of pieces, that’s the reason I switched, I don’t think thousand dollar equipment should be cheaply built, I have noticed that my GHL Salinity probe that there’s a little to no drift at all so I think you’ll be happy about that

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very excited! I’ve been leaning GHL over Apex because of everything I read about build quality. Even if Apex has more support in the US. But I’m convinced GHL would be overkill for a nano and I’m better going with something smaller but I’m not sold on the Hydros.
Reading more about your GHL v Apex would def help cement some decisions for me.
I know this is an older post, but maybe Dalua Ekoral is the solution for a Nano? I don't know much about them, apparently, they're popular in Australia (as that's their home location). I learned about them from AlgaeBarn and it's a really interesting controller so far. I'm trying to get in contact with them to see what their roadmap is.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is going to be interesting is when I replace my return plumbing on my tank and can see inside the Apex Flow meters. I am curious to see what is effecting them. I have my suppositions, but, we will see.

Last edited:

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is going to be interesting is when I replace my return plumbing on my tank and can see inside the Apex Flow meters. I am curious to see what is effecting them. I am my assumptions, but, we will see.
In a paddle design like that they probably need to be installed so you can remove and clean them periodically?

The GHL seems better, but i can still see those two metal probes getting crusty over time and needing cleaning?

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a paddle design like that they probably need to be installed so you can remove and clean them periodically?

The GHL seems better, but i can still see those two metal probes getting crusty over time and needing cleaning?
So far, I like my GHL flow meter on my UV sterilizer far better than the 2 Apex flow meters I have installed on my returns.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to totally redu my return on my tank. I purchased an Abyzz pump to install along with the 2 GHL flow sensors. I am looking at adding my Abyzz A200 to my GHL. I just sent off a message to Coralvue to see what I actually will be able to do and see if I connect it to my GHL P4, as the connection kit is sold by them. I don't care about the monitoring like you have with the Apex and Cor. I just need to know if I have a problem or not and to adjust the rate when a feed mode is needed. I am switching return pumps as I am disappointed in the Cor 20. I actually have 2 on my 225. That's why I switched pumps. Now, I just need a remote way to monitor it.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to totally redu my return on my tank. I purchased an Abyzz pump to install along with the 2 GHL flow sensors. I am looking at adding my Abyzz A200 to my GHL. I just sent off a message to Coralvue to see what I actually will be able to do and see if I connect it to my GHL P4, as the connection kit is sold by them. I don't care about the monitoring like you have with the Apex and Cor. I just need to know if I have a problem or not and to adjust the rate when a feed mode is needed. I am switching return pumps as I am disappointed in the Cor 20. I actually have 2 on my 225. That's why I switched pumps. Now, I just need a remote way to monitor it.

I have an abyzz 100, 200, and 400. Ordered, recently, the connection cable as well from coral value.

Abyzz GHL Interface Cable
SKU: VA-GHLCBL

My buddy has this on his tank. Pretty slick. Pretty sure he said he set his abyzz up to be controlled by flow rate given by ghl flow monitor. That or a percentage of flow from the abyzz. He wanted to reduce return flow during feed mode to just enough to keep tank level....

He bought a while ago and it came with the wrong connector but it was easy enough for him to switch it to ghls.

He stopped using the function.... it worked, he just thought it was unnecessary to reduce flow during feeding

Last edited:

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Bill, I’ve been watching this thread for a while, but forgive me I haven’t read it all yet so don’t hate me!!

I don’t trust Apex for anything critical other than monitoring. I’ve got 2 independent Apex systems and many things like leak detectors, optical sensors, flow sensors etc., well just fail or don’t work. It’s a great shame because the basic principle of the whole system I love.

As an example. When I set my new large system up i added a leak detector. Just in case something bad happened whilst asleep so it would shut the Abyzz a200 off if a leak occurred in a new tank. I came down one morning and Apex was turning the a200 on/off every other second because of an alleged leak! You can only imagine the unholy noise! Lol

I’ve got 2 flow sensors that just stoped working, after around 6 months, it’s a real shame. I’ve got FMM modules that just fail or constantly need resetting do to errors.

To be honest if the systems fails completely I will be going to ‘manual control’’

Im going to read through the whole thread but do you have a brief summary of your observations and the GHL ?

Last edited:

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Bill, I’ve been watching this thread for a while, but forgive me I haven’t read it all yet so don’t hate me!!

I don’t trust Apex for anything critical other than monitoring. I’ve got 2 independent Apex systems and many things like leak detectors, optical sensors, flow sensors etc., well just fail or don’t work. It’s a great shame because the basic principle of the whole system I love.

As an example. When I set my new large system up i added a leak detector. Just in case something bad happened whilst asleep so it would shut the Abyzz a200 off if a leak occurred in a new tank. I came down one morning and Apex was turning the a200 on/off every other second because of an alleged leak! You can only imagine the unholy noise! Lol

I’ve got 2 flow sensors that just stoped working, after around 6 months, it’s a real shame. I’ve got FMM modules that just fail or constantly need resetting do to errors.

To be honest if the systems fails completely I will be going to ‘manual control’’

Im going to read through the whole thread but do you have a brief summary of your observations and the GHL ?
My GHL leak detector goes off when it's not wet. If i unplug it when doing a water change, it has gone off then too! LOL. It's finicky to get to shut off. Sometimes it does it automatically--sometimes i have to tell it to shut off.

Bottom line is that i do not trust it. i believe it will tell me a leak is occurring but the false alerts are common.

It's either very (too) sensitive or buggy. I would not have it control anything important, or, in other words, that the tank needs on to survive. Rather, just have it alert you!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back