Apex Cor 15 - Glue or No Glue for Outlet?

lukestrothman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So - probably stupid question, but I'm from the land of gluing hard PVC.... but, I received this pump second hand and am wondering if this was never glued and that's how the fitting is still here and in tact for both in and outputs? Does tightening the union-ish piece secure the hard tubing enough to not require gluing?

Cheers

1693945932717.png

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The union fitting on the body, neck, is secure. That is not going to come off. I have 2 x 15 cor and 1 x 20 cor. All are threaded without issues. The pump weighs in at about 3 1/2 pounds. It is pretty heavy duty and the body is thick to include the neck.

If I understand correctly. You screw on union and it is fine.

OP
OP
L

lukestrothman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The union fitting on the body, neck, is secure. That is not going to come off. I have 2 x 15 cor and 1 x 20 cor. All are threaded without issues. The pump weighs in at about 3 1/2 pounds. It is pretty heavy duty and the body is thick to include the neck.

If I understand correctly. You screw on union and it is fine.
Let me rephrase - the "Slip" part of this union, where I would insert a hard piece of PVC, is that supposed to be glued into this fitting or no?

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can glue it but only once. If you bought it used the first owner probably just shoved the pipe in. I personally wouldn't trust it like that but, people do weird things.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me rephrase - the "Slip" part of this union, where I would insert a hard piece of PVC, is that supposed to be glued into this fitting or no?

NP, thank you for clarity. As @blecki mentioned the piece of PVC that you insert into the slip fitting on the union should be glued. I personally would not do anything else. It is easy to disconnect due to the union and I do so frequently when cleaning. Well not frequently to clean but rather remove strombus grazer snails that seem to get sucked in from time to time.

But yes. Glue into slip for best practice.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.3%
Back