Very bad at understanding PVC...

seanarino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna have to do a really silly setup because of the way my table is made and because I can't drill my tank.
I also feel very bad for posting all these stupid-sounding threads for questions even babies could probably answer...
From my (planned) Sicce Syncra (2.0), which uses a 3/4" ID barbed fitting for the tube, I'll have to do at least partially soft plumbing. However, I really like Loc-Line and would like to do the dual nozzle setup, so I'm going to have to somehow connect a Loc-Line. These are the questions I have:

- What connections would I have to use to *directly connect* 3/4" ID - 1" OD tubing to PVC, so that I could then connect the NPT connectors, which would allow me to use Loc-Line tubing? - What PVC size am I looking for (Sch40)?
- I plan on using 3/4" Loc-Line if possible, but is that the right size for what I need? I have a 20 gallon (standard) tank, and my HOB overflow will be pulling ~300 GPH along with the return pump pulling roughly the same (slightly more to account for head-loss).
- I'm also wanting to make a union with a short piece of pipe (on either side) below the elbows so that this can possibly be disassembled in the future for moving or selling. How do I do that? The bottom part of the pipe would be the part that has the barbed fitting to connect the soft tubing to.

What pieces am I going to need? I'm wanting to do the soft plumbing as high as I can, and perhaps just make the return output itself hard plumbing.I imagine I'm going to need two 90 degree elbows, but I don't understand how the threads work (where do I insert the threads? The pipes have no threads? What part has the threads? Do I need a random redundant bulkhead to put the threads in? I don't understand) or the PVC sizing at all. Is 1" the ID or OD? What's the ID? I don't get it. Not only that, but I'm not understanding how to connect a barbed fitting or *where* to connect a barbed fitting.

DonTavo27

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the Loc Line, you’ll need a threaded bulk head, Loc Line offers threaded adapters, you’ll thread the adapter into the bulk head.

For the return, I usually use a Slip by thread coupling, glue the slip side to the hard PVC line,
Thread the NPT fitting, and use vinyl tubbing between pump and PVC.

DonTavo27

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CCF9F65B-046F-45C1-A2A1-EAE195924E35.jpeg

BEA584E6-5FF6-4E48-B43B-14FEF1469BC1.jpeg

DonTavo27

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be sure to add a check valve at the end of your return line to prevent back flow, like you see above at my return line picture. The check valve has an arrow on it indicating the direction of flow.

DonTavo27

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
seanarino

seanarino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the Loc Line, you’ll need a threaded bulk head, Loc Line offers threaded adapters, you’ll thread the adapter into the bulk head.

For the return, I usually use a Slip by thread coupling, glue the slip side to the hard PVC line,
Thread the NPT fitting, and use vinyl tubbing between pump and PVC.
Okay, so uh, starting from the pump, it'd be the braided nylon vinyl tubing (3/4" ID, 1" OD). That tubing would go into a barbed fitting (??? size) that connects to 1 inch PVC. That short piece of PVC would go into a union (??? size), and the other end of the union would also be PVC. That connects to two 90 degree elbows (??? size) connected on the inside via a piece of 1 inch PVC. on the end of the second elbow, another short piece of PVC would connect to a 1" bulkhead (???) and then connect to the loc-line connector (??? size) with the threads? I think...

Also, I apologize, but I don't talk over the phone.

DonTavo27

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s one way of doing things. You can also just use vinyl Tubbing all the way up from the pump, then connect to a return jet fitting that hooks on top of the aquarium rim.

Last edited:

DonTavo27

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
seanarino

seanarino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s one way of doing things. You can also just use vinyl Tubbing all the way up from the pump, then connect to a return jet fitting that hooks on top of the aquarium rim.
Yeah, I didn't want to use one of those because everybody says they're really flimsy, and I also wanted to split my output from the return across the tank.

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yeah, I didn't want to use one of those because everybody says they're really flimsy, and I also wanted to split my output from the return across the tank.
I did. what you are wanting to do in all ridged pvc and did DIY over the tops and it works out great.
IMG_9211.jpeg
IMG_9212.jpeg

IMG_9214.jpeg

OP
OP
seanarino

seanarino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only issue is, I don't know what sizes for anything I'm looking for save for a few minor (relatively) things and I'm confused on what I'm supposed to be doing exactly because, to overshare, I have autism, and if I'm not told *exactly* what I'm supposed to be doing, I'll be lost.

I'm really confused and frustrated on what I'm supposed to be doing, and I can't under any circumstances do fully hard plumbing so I'd like to not be shown that. I have to do partially soft plumbing because of the way my table is. Nobody will tell me what I'm supposed to be doing, that's why there's all the "??? size" in what I said I was going to do.

I just want to eliminate my stupid canister filter. I hate it and it's useless and I have to have someone else help me put the lid back on because it doesn't want to stay on and it makes it hard to care for the tank because I can't do it on my own.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 31 38.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 33 40.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back