Apex dimming PAR38's?

Rpujol85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Relative newbie here planning my first upgrade tank, now that I actually know what all actualy goes into maintaining a healthy/happy reef. As we all know this hobby costs alot of money. I'm not looking to cut corners, but cut costs whenever it makes sense.

I like the idea of an Apex controller, but not sure if I want the Jr, or just go with the big daddy. Reason being most of the components I would want control over, mainly the lights, ato/kalk dosing, and powerheads can be bought already automated/programmable (led fixtures, tunze/elos ATO, vortechs, etc). So I could really only be using it strictly for data logging and heater control. So to save money in the long run I thought of this.... but I'm not sure it is even possible.

I know there are a handful of PAR30/38 led's out there that are dimmable, and was hoping to use these to be able to scale up the system as money allows, rather than plop down $500+ on a controllable led fixture. (DIY led's don't have the finished look I am after).

My idea is to run 3-4 of these using a track setup, with the track power being supplied by one of the variable outlets. And if this works eventually adding a second track with more PARxx's for better coverage/colors. Thinking one track with mostly white type bulbs and the other with supplemental colors, and hoping to control each independantly of each other.

Does anyone know if the 1-10v outlets on the Apex can be used to control the PARxx's in this manner?

Go with Jr and off the shelf led fixture, or full Apex and dimmable PARxx's

Any other ideas or thoughts on the matter?

TLDR: Can Apex be used to dim/control PAR38 and similar bulbs?

vbsaltydog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several factors at play. How much current does each PAR38 bulb draw on the dimming signal input? Will you run them in series or parallel? how many bulbs will you put on each 0-10v channel? etc.

You will need to provide the data sheet(s) for the par38 bulb(s) you plan to use as well as answers to the questions above before anyone can even begin to help.

OP
OP
Rpujol85

Rpujol85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how much current these draw (not sure how to find out). But most of the PAR38's run at around 18-24watts and PAR30's at about 14watts. Was thinking to have two runs of lights of 3-4 lights on each track, each track on its own 0-10v outlet.

Unfortunately the manufacturers of these lights don't provide a completely detailed spec sheet with drivers used ect, only number of leds used and total wattage.

For what it's worth I was thinking of some of these coral compulsions or ocreefs.
LED
PAR38 LED Reef Lamps

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 74 46.8%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back