Apex Disconnects Every 20 minutes

805ReeferDude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stumbled upon the deal of a lifetime on Facebook market place for an 80 gallon reef setup which included a Trident Apex controller with nearly every option available.

I have the controller setup on an existing tank to figure everything out before getting the 80 gallon setup.

I’ve got most of the bugs worked out and probes calibrated but I have one major issues; the Apex unit disconnects every 20 minutes or so making it useless during that time.

I did a factory reset and updated the firmware for the base unit and energy bar. I’ve tried creating a static IP address and port forwarding but the problem still persist (maybe I don’t have the correct settings?). After hours trying ideas from forums and YouTube, I’m at a lose. I’m hoping someone here can help out.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Questions:
  1. Is the Apex connected via WiFi or Ethernet cable?
  2. Have you tried rebooting your Internet router?
  3. If you set a static IP, what did you specify for DNS addresses?
  4. Why did you set up port forwarding? That is not necessary, and is actually a big security risk inviting hackers.

OP
OP
805ReeferDude

805ReeferDude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Wifi
2. No but I can
3. Not really sure. I don’t fully understand the router stuff. I used a wizard via google mesh software.
4. 2 reasons. A) it defaulted to port 80 and Apex material said I should change that immediately. B) It was a recommendation made somewhere and I was at the point that I’d try anything.

Given that it didn’t work, should I delete the port forwarding and static IP address? Then try a router reboot?

DesertCitiesReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an issue with mine disconnecting. So I solved the problem by getting a WiFi extender that plugs int to the wall. And connected the cat5 cable to the extender to my apex and after that no issues of disconnecting ever since.

bobssecrtsn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you should factory reset it so it will erase everything from the previous owner. Then start fresh. Either using a WiFi adaptor or wired Ethernet cable which is best.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.5%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back