Apex Dos Overdose?

iron_mike_gt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did a routine check on my DOS Reservoirs and found that the first one is empty. I checked the Apex logs and for the past week it shows the increments I have programmed. The container is not damaged, there is no liquid on the floor, and the dosing line has some air bubble in it. The was Triton Core 7 3a that probably had 500 mL dosed at some point this week - my other 3 containers are at the expected level.

Has anyone experienced this? I last calibrated 3 weeks ago or so (March 25).

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not. A report like this is very disconcerting.

What's your alk level? Seen any adverse effects on your tank?

Since you calibrate, I'm inclined to guess that you also keep your AOS and DOS firmware up to date.

But since you did recently calibrate, perhaps there was an error with that and your calibration is now way off;
the DOS could have been dispensing much more than the Apex thinks each time. Just a possibility.

Otherwise it would have to be some glitch with either the Apex software or DOS firmware. Neither would be a good thing.

OP
OP
iron_mike_gt

iron_mike_gt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2nd doser on the same unit did it last night :(

Alk is fine - 7.8. I'm running Triton, so it's Calc & Mag that have now spiked in the tank.

Firmware is up to date on my units. I'm using the standard fusion interface for configuring dosing intervals, not doing anything fancy on the advanced tab. Opening a support ticket now.

dcmartinpc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your reservoir above your DOS and are your dosing lines submerged? This seems really odd. A siphon seems possible, but that is dependent on how things a setup.

Don

OP
OP
iron_mike_gt

iron_mike_gt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your reservoir above your DOS and are your dosing lines submerged? This seems really odd. A siphon seems possible, but that is dependent on how things a setup.

Dosing lines aren't submerged, but the containers are higher than my sump. Pump heads are 3+ years old so I'm assuming worn out tubing and a siphon formed. New heads ordered and I'm going to work to get the liquid lower than my sump. Just really weird that they both failed within 48 hours of each other. Glad that it was calc/mag and not ALK.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My DOS heads freeze up all the time......Fusion shows it as dosing but if you manually hit the dos button, the head doesn't move. I have to unplug and plug it back in. I got in the habit of tapping the manual DOS button every time I walk by the DOS to make sure the heads are still working.

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing lines aren't submerged, but the containers are higher than my sump. Pump heads are 3+ years old so I'm assuming worn out tubing and a siphon formed. New heads ordered and I'm going to work to get the liquid lower than my sump. Just really weird that they both failed within 48 hours of each other. Glad that it was calc/mag and not ALK.

Ah, I see. I thought about suggesting a siphon situation but that would be unlikely unless your containers are elevated, and your heads were worn out, both.
But that looks like what happened. Actually this is the best scenario, because if this is what happened, it means that neither the Apex nor the DOS software failed.

As far as what was dosed, I thought Triton 3 a and b were both alk supplements? I don't do Triton but that's what it says on their website.

OP
OP
iron_mike_gt

iron_mike_gt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as what was dosed, I thought Triton 3 a and b were both alk supplements? I don't do Triton but that's what it says on their website.

1&2 are what was dosed so definitely Calc and Mag. 3a and 3b are the newer u it and fine fortunately. So now I have a new yearly maintenance task to replace the heads.

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1&2 are what was dosed so definitely Calc and Mag. 3a and 3b are the newer u it and fine fortunately. So now I have a new yearly maintenance task to replace the heads.

Oh ok, that's excellent, I was just going by your first post which said 3 a (and then I assumed 3 b the next day) were overdosed.
I was a bit surprised when you later said your alk was ok! :)

OP
OP
iron_mike_gt

iron_mike_gt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok, that's excellent, I was just going by your first post which said 3 a (and then I assumed 3 b the next day) were overdosed.
I was a bit surprised when you later said your alk was ok! :)

Doh! Not enough coffee when I posted I guess. I was wondering why y’all kept asking what Alk was lol

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 56 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 59 26.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 53 23.7%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 52 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back