Apex DOS to Non-Apex Dosing Container

havoc_one

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to pull the trigger on a DOS pump for my Apex set-up after watching the latest BRS video on Kalkwasser, Dosing being a very effective method for administration.

However, I noticed that the DOS connects using 3.33 mm Diameter tubing, but most containers connect to 1.67 mm (according to Apex). Has anyone had any "out of the box" success with a dosing container/reservoir that connects to this size of tubing? In other words, can you recommend a dosing container that connects to this tubing without modification?

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Red Sea Recipe Products for my dosing, I also use the Neptune orange tubing. the Red Sea products come with a hose adapter on their cap that you attach the tubing directly to it. But you have to buy additional tubing to work inside the bottle. They work fine and I have no issues

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to pull the trigger on a DOS pump for my Apex set-up after watching the latest BRS video on Kalkwasser, Dosing being a very effective method for administration.

However, I noticed that the DOS connects using 3.33 mm Diameter tubing, but most containers connect to 1.67 mm (according to Apex). Has anyone had any "out of the box" success with a dosing container/reservoir that connects to this size of tubing? In other words, can you recommend a dosing container that connects to this tubing without modification?
The DOS tubing is 6 mm OD, 4 mm ID. Not sure where you got 3.33 mm.

OP
OP
H

havoc_one

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DOS tubing is 6 mm OD, 4 mm ID. Not sure where you got 3.33 mm.
This is on both MarineDepot and BRS's listing for the DOS pump

• Large diameter tubing - Larger size tubing means that your pump does not have to work nearly as hard – or stay on for longer cycles. The most popular dosing pumps on the market use tube fittings with the tiny diameter of 1.67mm. The DOS uses much larger tubing and fittings. In fact, at 3.33mm in diameter, the pump on the DOS can handle 4x the flow of the most common pump style on the market. This means that your pump (and motor) will run 1/4 the time to pump the same amount of fluid. Less run time means long pump life.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is on both MarineDepot and BRS's listing for the DOS pump

• Large diameter tubing - Larger size tubing means that your pump does not have to work nearly as hard – or stay on for longer cycles. The most popular dosing pumps on the market use tube fittings with the tiny diameter of 1.67mm. The DOS uses much larger tubing and fittings. In fact, at 3.33mm in diameter, the pump on the DOS can handle 4x the flow of the most common pump style on the market. This means that your pump (and motor) will run 1/4 the time to pump the same amount of fluid. Less run time means long pump life.
That is referring to the inside diameter of the nozzle where you attach the tubing, not the tubing itself:

IMG_0410.jpg

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So to answer your original question, you can use any dosing container that fits 6 mm or 1/4" tubing. If you choose a container that has 1/4" push-connect fittings, you're probably better off using standard 1/4" RO tubing since 6 mm is just shy of 1/4", so it can sometimes create an air leak at the fitting.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take product descriptions with a grain of salt, they're written by marketing departments to sell units.

As noted, 1/4 airline tubing, silicone tubing etc is fine to use. If you're going to use RO tubing the "softmod" some do with John Guest push adaptors is a better idea IMO. Those plastic compression nuts, depending on your tubing type, can have a tendency to back-off a bit after a period of time and create air ingress. Especially true on tubing that starts off soft and hardens after a while, like airline tubing.

The DOS tubing itself is rather expensive for what it is. Any bulk hose store will have the same thing for comparatively much cheaper, and it won't come all half-bound kinked from being folded for months.

In terms of dosing vessels, a quite decent option is the 3x 2000ML offering from Simplicity. I'm fond of silicone tubing, a commercial version like the Skimz coloured pack that used to be (still is?) available is a good non-bulk option.

OP
OP
H

havoc_one

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh! That is helpful and makes sense. So, the 6 OD 4 ID should fit most other fittings for icecap, simplicity, etc dosing containers? Assuming that is a standard size?
I see answers to this above. Thank you for your help.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 75 37.7%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%

Back