Apex Dos water change question

reeferericb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently running a DOS to change my DT water out continuously. I’m about to set up my quarantine tank again and I’d like to add a step to my water change.

If I purchase another DOS how difficult would it be to pump water from my DT into my QT then into my drain? I would recalculate the water volume to include the QT so I wold assume that doing this shouldn’t be an issue.

This should make transferring from one tank to another super easy. If there’s a reason not to do this, or the programming is difficult let me know. This should also keep my QT from contaminating my DT as the water only flows away from the DT.

What would the programming look like for this setup? One pump will have to be control individually. This would open the other pump for dosing other items or trace elements.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only downside I see with this is that (if) you potentially have something in your DT you might also be introducing it to your QT, along with any nitrates, etc. But yes, you could certainly set it up this way - just that you're going to need both heads on the DOS:

* Pump 1: input - DT / output - QT
* Pump 2: input - QT / output - drain

Then you'd run both at the same time. In theory it should balance out.

OP
OP
reeferericb

reeferericb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only downside I see with this is that (if) you potentially have something in your DT you might also be introducing it to your QT, along with any nitrates, etc. But yes, you could certainly set it up this way. Just make sure you calibrate your DOS such that you're receiving and sending the same amount of water. Are you topping RO up manually in your QT or is this automated as well?
Water is topped up manually but I’m thinking of adding an ATO to it. My QT is a 20 gallon tank with HOB filter. I also use an air filter with sponge as well. I don’t care about looks as much with equipment in the QT. All the glass is black except for the front glass.

I bought a 55 gallon tank that’s almost exactly the same dimensions as my DT except half as long. I planned on making that my QT but that seems too big for my needs.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be very simple to set up. On the new DOS, go into the Schedule screen, click the Copy icon at the upper right, then copy the settings from AWC drain pump from the first DOS.

Screen Shot 2021-09-19 at 2.14.38 PM.png

You'll want to calibrate both DOS units so you know they're pumping at the same rates. The size difference in tanks doesn't matter if you're adding and removing equal amounts of water at the same time.

One last comment: I wrote detailed instructions on how to set up the DOS for AWC where the tubing is attached opposite of Neptune's instructions. This is to allow both DOS heads to rotate clockwise so the calibration and priming processes work with the tubing orientation. See: https://www.reef2reef.com/posts/7783633/

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back