Apex EL Aquarium Monitor - BRS Special Edition.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that was me explaining the Mdini wire color scheme. I’m also making a small board that will let you connect both the float assembly AND a breakout or toggle box to the IO port. That lets you utilize the whole 6 switch functionality without cutting any wires.

But the PCB was sadly delayed due to Coronavirus. (Just upper traces pictured)

jnZY7Wu.jpg
I thought the Apex bus was 24V, not 12?

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the Apex bus was 24V, not 12?

Ignore that. It is not common knowledge, but there is a 12v pin in the IO port. The PCB just terminates it on the board, as it is NOT meant to be used according to Neptune. You only see that there because in theory if there is a future application, I wanted the possibility of bridging those pads without needing to order new boards.

Last edited:

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aha - interesting. All the other pin outs I’ve seen list it as ‘unused.’ At first I was wondering if it was meant to be used as a pull-up voltage, but that would be done internally on the individual switch lines. Seems like Neptune may have been considering using the breakout plug for something besides simple switches or maybe an early version of an optical sensor before they developed the FMM?

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aha - interesting. All the other pin outs I’ve seen list it as ‘unused.’ At first I was wondering if it was meant to be used as a pull-up voltage, but that would be done internally on the individual switch lines. Seems like Neptune may have been considering using the breakout plug for something besides simple switches or maybe an early version of an optical sensor before they developed the FMM?

No idea. I think I heard somewhere that an old product used it, but do not know any specifics. For all I know it would damage the apex if utilized.

PhilT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if people are adverse to cutting the port off the original cable with the floats, you could get an extension cable and cut the male end off it.

just assuming the wire colors will match.

PhilT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other question. I was told the BRS edition came with a power adapter because the EL is normally sold with the EB832 energy bar and it gets the power over the aquabus from it. So they didn’t put the adapter in the regular package.

I just got a used eb8, so same applies? No need for adapter?

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other question. I was told the BRS edition came with a power adapter because the EL is normally sold with the EB832 energy bar and it gets the power over the aquabus from it. So they didn’t put the adapter in the regular package.

I just got a used eb8, so same applies? No need for adapter?

Correct it can get power from the EB8. In theory you could plug the EB8 into a battery backup and the wall adapter into the wall, and use power monitoring to be notified when the wall power stops. And/or only run essential devices during that period.

PhilT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting so if you have both the bus and adapter connected, it would normally use the adapter but then if it loses power, the aquabus power kicks in? And it can send a notification that the wall adapter power is out.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting so if you have both the bus and adapter connected, it would normally use the adapter but then if it loses power, the aquabus power kicks in? And it can send a notification that the wall adapter power is out.

I would phrase it as it is using the EB8 for power, but is monitoring the status of the power adapter.

Note that you would need both the apex head unit and your wifi router to have a battery backup in order to send instant notification. Otherwise, you will just get fusion heartbeat (hourly checks)

PhilT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would phrase it as it is using the EB8 for power, but is monitoring the status of the power adapter.

Note that you would need both the apex head unit and your wifi router to have a battery backup in order to send instant notification. Otherwise, you will just get fusion heartbeat (hourly checks)
Ok, my router is on backup with my pc now. Not sure If I’ll do battery on the eb8 immediately. I imagine it won’t last long unless it’s a big ups but I Guess it saves the occasional glitches.

fusion heartbeat is done from Neptune‘s servers?

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, my router is on backup with my pc now. Not sure If I’ll do battery on the eb8 immediately. I imagine it won’t last long unless it’s a big ups but I Guess it saves the occasional glitches.

fusion heartbeat is done from Neptune‘s servers?
Yes - Fusion verifies that you have a reliable network connection and then it (the Fusion server) monitors that it's receiving information from your Apex. If it doesn't hear anything for a while it sends out an alert.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct it can get power from the EB8. In theory you could plug the EB8 into a battery backup and the wall adapter into the wall, and use power monitoring to be notified when the wall power stops. And/or only run essential devices during that period.

It’s not just a theory. See my tutorial on Apex Power Monitoring for details on how to configure the Apex to detect power failures when connected to a UPS battery and to selectively shut down certain devices to preserve battery life: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/neptune-apex-programming-tutorials-part-4-power-monitoring.698/

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Chipp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is how I have mine set up, and it works great.

PhilT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is it configured for the float switches to say if open/closed to trigger alarm? Also if I wanted to say turn off an energy bar outlet like for the ATO where would that go?

all I see if I click on the gear from the dashboard next to the input is where I can change the name.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is it configured for the float switches to say if open/closed to trigger alarm?

There be a virtual outlet with the float program in it, that mentions each float along with a defer statement. Then in your alarms, it says if that virtual outlet is on, then alarm is on.

Also if I wanted to say turn off an energy bar outlet like for the ATO where would that go?

That is rudimentary outlet programming. I suggest you read these articles, starting from # 1

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Right now mine is just monitoring temp. Mine didn’t have the ph calibration fluids in the box so BRS is sending some. Should get those tomorrow. Also waiting for a stand for my tunze ato pump with an area to mount the float so I can monitor my ato reservoir. So right now I’ve just got an expensive thermometer lol.

I have been using Alexa to log test results to fusion which is cool.

PhilT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder what I should calibrate my temp probe too? I have the BRS inkbird for their heater and the Hanna salinity/temp hand held unit. The Hanna is about1.5 deg lower than the inkbird.

guessing the inkbird since that is currently controlling power to the heater.

PhilT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why am I getting this alarm? Seems backwards... the minimum range is 75 and the probe is reading 76.3

Tmp is less than 75.0 (76.3)

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back