Apex EL Aquarium Monitor - BRS Special Edition.

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So this was just unveiled on Let's Talk Reef, Neptune Systems Live Weekly Chat.....

Any thoughts??? Let's talk and discuss this release here.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just wondering the same thing:

Now, for me (an Apex user), I don't see why I would just want to "monitor" without also getting the Alex's help fixing.

Imagine this scenario:

You are on vacation and walk past a TV playing the news, on the screen you can see your neighborhood is on fire with it quickly approaching your house, you have no cell signal, no way to call the Fire Department (or maybe turn on those Alexa controlled.sprinklers), nothing you can do to help save your house, all you can do is watch and "monitor".

Am I missing something?

OP
OP
DarthSimon

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to digest this new Product Package. What I am seeing is an Entry level Apex, with Temp, PH, and 2 Float Switches to monitor water levels. You get the Apex Brain, so the sky is the limit as far as expandability. EB832's can be added, and much more. I'm guessing this is the EL Apex Brain, so you don't get Salinity and Orp?? Which could both be added by more modules down the line if needed.

So it's an even less expensive price point for people to jump into the Apex EccoSystem. I like it....'

Curious if here is a new Task coming to configure the new Float Switch Device?
#Terence

Last edited:

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’ll be nice for hobbyists that don’t want a full-blown controller. I’d happily pay $250 to monitor my temperature and water levels with Fusion if I were an "old school" hobbyist that didn't want to buy and install a full-blown controller—I could still use features to monitor it for 1/3 of the price of a 2016 Apex or 1/2 of the price of an ApexEL. Also, the alarms are already programmed, which will be nice for hobbyists that are afraid to dig into programming and find controllers too complicated. Regularly, I see Facebook posts in Apex user groups and in #AskBRSTV about someone getting an Apex and being overwhelmed; this could ease them into the ecosystem.

Last edited:

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's ok but... it's still the El - I've been considering upgrading my Classic to the newer Apex head but I still need the added inputs for Kessils etc (the 4 channels of variable speed/diming outlets) which this doesn't have. I've also been procrastinating because the changeover is going to take a full weekend of programming - which I'm not too enthused about.

hobbyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started a new build and spent a lot of money getting the tank wet. I need to take it easy for a few months (spending), but I really want a controller. Monitoring temp and water level (and hopefully getting alerts on my phone) would be a huge value. If I’m planning on going full blown Apex down the road, is there any reason not to start with this version? The way I see it is I can get my feet wet with the ApexEL at a reasonable price and upgrade as needed. Agree or disagree?

Amado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is very good for Neptune. You have a lot of people that can’t afford the $800 for the full system. What I don’t understand is why didn’t they add a 4 port power strip like the apex JR.

This is a big f-u to all the other distributors of Neptune products. They already have very small margins and I am also sure everyone is tired with not having inventory of trident or reagents.
If I was a LFS I would be clearing out the Neptune product wall. Let BRS sell it.

I sure Neptune is also not happy that saltwater.com is selling other controllers.
BRS only sells Neptune.

Technewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im about to pull the trigger on this. I have an apex el already and it works great. Salinity probes arent even accurate, no use for orp, and I have nothing using dimming ports so this is perfect for my new AIO tank. I have an extra eb8 laying around so this would be great.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess technically, if you score one of these and buy an EB832 to add some of the control features you would spend the same as getting the EL and you get water level sensors...

Yep that is pretty much what it is. You now get two level sensors for free. This is great for BRS sales but it now makes it harder for the other distributors to compete on the low end. Personally I agree with @Js.Aqua.Project in that it's not really all that useful to be able to monitor stuff without having the ability to actually control it. Of course once again this is brilliant marketing by Neptune because 90% of buyers are going to be buying a power bar within months if not weeks, plus other add-ons so that they can actually have a complete controller.

sharpimage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its pretty good. I find alot of my stuff isn't hooked up to my EB8. Most things I have have their own controllers. With this, you could manage a dos and trident.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like a good venture, the competition is going to LITE & LIGHT controllers so this sounds like a normal progression
to stay competitive and also to reward BRS for not selling the other competitors products. I now know why.
I recall Ryan asking the community about a replacement or the resurrection of the Reef Keeper so... replacement it is ;)
BRS Foods, Heaters, Controllers and Chems, I wonder what's Next? Maybe buy vertex skimmers and sumps :p

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great way to get into having and using the Apex without the steep upfront cost. Personally I still have and use Reefkeepers but I don't get notified when things are wrong. This will be a great way to transition over to a newer system and be able to learn slowly and not feel overwhelmed.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im about to pull the trigger on this. I have an apex el already and it works great. Salinity probes arent even accurate, no use for orp, and I have nothing using dimming ports so this is perfect for my new AIO tank. I have an extra eb8 laying around so this would be great.

Agreed re adding on an EB8 and having a sweet, modern setup. They go used on the classifieds for like ~$100.

MrWheelock

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally love it, I have an apex now, and had this been out when I started the hobby I would have gotten this over the reef keeper thats now in a box....

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back