Apex EL with VDM vs Kessil Spectral X controller

sse1990

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 2 Nicrew Hyperreef 100w lights and ordered a Kessil Spectral X controller. The controller did not power up out of the box.

Since I have to wait and find out what will happen to the controller, I was looking at other options.

I have an Apex EL already and was curious on opinions of using the apex vs a dedicated light controller. VDM with cable ends up about the same in CAD funds as the Kessil controller

Any advantage of going dedicated controller vs using my apex?

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if I have any suggestion on which one is the best. We currently use Neptune Apex in two of our systems, which comes with many pros and cons.

OP
OP
sse1990

sse1990

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if I have any suggestion on which one is the best. We currently use Neptune Apex in two of our systems, which comes with many pros and cons.
The Kessil controller started to work, yet smells burnt. I went ahead and ordered the VDM module for my Apex and will give it a try.

What kind of cons are you experiencing?

Since these Nicrew lights only give you control over whites and blues, the vdm should be ok.
With the Kessil controller, the color control does Whites and theintensity control does Blues. A bit odd to figure out And seems to work.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back