Apex Flow sensors, how do you like them?

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im planning to monitor my UV, GFO and carbon outlets to let me know if anything gets clogged up and needs a look. Ill monitor the return pump as well because why not and it will tell me if the pump stops running. And Ill have an extra sensor so I can hot swap them for cleaning.

I know they require frequent cleaning and reduce flow a bit, but overall how do you guys like them?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard mixed reviews with the flow sensors, and while I've periodically considered them I've never found the need to utilize them (it's been possible to roughly figure out my flow rates with some manual calculations).

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump, Anyone who actually owns them out there?
I had 3 of them for reactors and UV. They will limit some flow, so that needs to be taken into account. For example, I measured how much flow I had with the old cylinder and timer method, then multiply to get flow per minute. After adding them it was educed by about 10%. They do work though. Using them and then doing the same measurement, they were very close to each other. I did not utilize them when I redid my plumbing, but if I was to use them again, I would step up to 2" flow sensor if using 1" pipe. Just use adaptors to take it up and then back down. I wish they made 1.25 and 1.5 sensors, as this would be optimal for what I want to do.

Side note: I still use the .25" sensor on multiple things with my RODI. This has really helped me know when my sediment is starting to get clogged.

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use two of them. one to measure the output from my UV so I can dial it in to the recommended flow rate. I use the other to measure total return to the tank. I have only taken one of them out for cleaning in the eight ish months I've had the tank running. Just make sure you don't accidentally drop the gasket on the union like I did...then spend two hours trying to figure out why your fitting is leaking.

OP
OP
E

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I was kind of surprised they didnt have a 3/4" or 1 1/2" versions, those seem like the most common sizes you would want.

I was actually wondering where someone would even use the 1/4" version since its flow rate is too high for monitoring dosing or even calc reactor outlets.

But Yeah, I know they will have some flow loss but Im running them on pressure rated pumps with some extra GPM to spare. Im more interested in knowing the flow rate, being able to dial in it and knowing when it drops too low.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I was kind of surprised they didnt have a 3/4" or 1 1/2" versions, those seem like the most common sizes you would want.

I was actually wondering where someone would even use the 1/4" version since its flow rate is too high for monitoring dosing or even calc reactor outlets.

But Yeah, I know they will have some flow loss but Im running them on pressure rated pumps with some extra GPM to spare. Im more interested in knowing the flow rate, being able to dial in it and knowing when it drops too low.
They will work fine for that and are pretty accurate to boot, so always a plus there.

Back