Apex flow sensors

Jrod381

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are everyone’s thoughts on the flow sensors from apex? I am still up in the air if you get the flow sensors I saw so many mixed reviews on them. I wish @ecotech would come out with their control system but there is no telling when that will happen. The reason I want the flow sensors is to gauge how is being returned to the tank from each return pump and then also to gauge how much flow is going to the UV, and eventually a calcium reactor

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use multiple flow sensors and use alarms to alert me for them. They do get clogged from time to time, and need cleaning. They can be a valuable and useful...

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 1" flow sensor on my UV and 1/2" sensors on my carbon and GFO reactors. I use the flow readings to turn off the UV when the flow is below 100 gph like when I trigger a feed mode or if the return pump is off.

The graph below shows the flow through my carbon reactor slowly dropping from 100 gph to 50 gph as sediment builds up in the reactor. When I see it drop this low, I remove the reactor to clean the filters and replace the carbon. The flow meters come in very handy.

Screen Shot 2019-03-02 at 6.35.59 PM.png

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think flow sensors are excellent devices. They can be used in two tiers of redundancy. Slowdowns send clogging alert. Radically slow flow sends pump alarm and shuts off the main pump.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a bunch on my system. Did have to have one replaced under warranty, and they do get clogged up. Sometimes it’s a simple mechanical clean out; sometimes you have to take the sensor apart. I keep swappable spares on hand.

Back