Apex Heater Fail Safe Setting, Help Please

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have been living through a major cold snap there. The low temperatures have been below 60 at night for some time here in central Florida.

Last night after doing a water change and turning on my heaters to ON the heat the water. I thought that my heaters would switch off once it hit my temp setting. the heaters did not:oops:;Jawdrop. I there a line that I can add to my settings to switch off the heaters/heater when the outlet is toggled to on or do I need to clean up my setting so this will not happen again.
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Tmp < 78.4 Then ON
If Tmp > 78.6 Then OFF
If FeedC 002 Then OFF
If FeedD 002 Then OFF

ontop27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is i personally don't know of it.. on is on to me. Auto allows the apex to use its logic. What are the heaters set to? Or are they just an element

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is i personally don't know of it.. on is on to me. Auto allows the apex to use its logic. What are the heaters set to? Or are they just an element

They are Fennix heaters.

I alway was under the impression that once a temp was reached the outlet would shut down for heaters.

ciscomania

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
uhhh.. i don't know why it didn't shut off when it hit the target temp. Mine always shuts off once it hits the off temp target and only turns back on once it falls below on temp target.

ontop27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
uhhh.. i don't know why it didn't shut off when it hit the target temp. Mine always shuts off once it hits the off temp target and only turns back on once it falls below on temp target.
Under auto or on?
Same logic the other way the original poster, if it was off, you would then want it to kick on when it got too cold. If i was doing a water change and the heater was exposed if it kicked back on that would be very bad. So pretty sure on / off ignor the coding for that reason.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your heater plugged into outlet 4 on your eb8?

8 on EB8, the light just click on in my head. So this would be the issue since 4 and 8 are static? The other everyday one is plugged into 7

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20180116-061732.png

I followed Terrance's guidance when I originally set it up, which said outlet 4 for the heater. Has never failed to turn the outlet on and off when the temp parameters are reached.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes removevthem from four or eight
Your code looks ok
How many heaters do you have
2 right now, one is for backup for the cold nights. I enjoy the cold and the heat does not kick on until the house gets down to 60 at night and I need a back up heater since I have been using a 300w.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20180116-061732.png

I followed Terrance's guidance when I originally set it up, which said outlet 4 for the heater. Has never failed to turn the outlet on and off when the temp parameters are reached.
It works fine on Auto, but not when It is switched on and left on.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would flip your heater switch back to Auto. If it is set to ON that will override any programming that you have set.

On a side note, aren't we Central Floridians spoiled?

ftmyers-cold-weatherFL.jpg
LOL that is so true.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because on overrides programming...
Thank you,

Kind the whole bases of my question. Even though it is on and the EB's are controlled, then why can there not be a code line that overrides the physical on for heaters. That is one of the reason most buy a controller is for that fail safe of not burning up the system with a failed heater. And one other thoughts is if physical static outlet fails the apex would shut down the EB entirely or the outlet.

azreeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you please explain in more detail why a heater can’t be on certain outlets, like 4&8? I always figured all outlets are fair game as long as you Program for what you need it to do. I have an Eb4 and Eb8 on mine. Thanks

Robert's Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you toggle the heaters to ON they will remain on, until the temperature that is set by the heater turns the heater off. So, it sounds like the temperature on your heaters is set too high. Now, if you set the heaters to AUTO they will turn ON and OFF according to your programming.

Personally, I would change your programming to:

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Tmp < 78.4 Then ON
If FeedC 001 Then OFF
If FeedD 001 Then OFF
Defer 001:00 Then ON
Defer 001:00 Then OFF

Outlet TEMP_TOO_HIGH:
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Tmp > 78.9 Then ON /* or whatever value you want */

EMAILALM_15:
If Outlet TEMP_TOO_HIGH ON then ON

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back