Apex Heater Failsafe Program

mchute85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I apologize if this has already been answered, but I was not able to find it searching other posts. I want to use the Apex as a heater failure failsafe only. I will let the heater turn on and off itself and use the Apex as a shutoff if the heater fails in the on position. This is my thoughts on code below (Apex Classic).

Set ON --> Should this be a set statement or a fallback statement?
If Tmp > 80.5 Then OFF
If Tmp < 76.5 Then ON --> Do I need a step to turn heater back on if the program starts with a "Set on" statement?

I am also toying with the idea of getting an Inkbird to control the heater. What are the plus/minuses of this idea?

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I apologize if this has already been answered, but I was not able to find it searching other posts. I want to use the Apex as a heater failure failsafe only. I will let the heater turn on and off itself and use the Apex as a shutoff if the heater fails in the on position. This is my thoughts on code below (Apex Classic).

Set ON --> Should this be a set statement or a fallback statement?
If Tmp > 80.5 Then OFF
If Tmp < 76.5 Then ON --> Do I need a step to turn heater back on if the program starts with a "Set on" statement?

I am also toying with the idea of getting an Inkbird to control the heater. What are the plus/minuses of this idea?

Here’s my setting. It’s been like this for years. Never had any issue.

Fallback OFF
If Tmp < 77.4 Then ON
If Tmp > 78.1 Then OFF
If Output Maintenance = ON Then OFF
If FeedA 000 Then OFF

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the typical way to set up the Apex as a failsafe-only for a heater with its own thermostat:

Fallback ON
Set ON
If Tmp > 80.0 Then OFF

Fallback only applies if the EnergyBar loses communications with the Apex, so in this case it leaves the output On so the heater’s thermostat continues to operate normally while the Apex is unavailable.

Set ON instructs it to always leave the output On unless another condition overrides it.

Lastly, the If Tmp command only turns Off the output of it’s too warm.

See my series of Apex tutorials for more tips:

OP
OP
M

mchute85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the typical way to set up the Apex as a failsafe-only for a heater with its own thermostat:

Fallback ON
Set ON
If Tmp > 80.0 Then OFF

Fallback only applies if the EnergyBar loses communications with the Apex, so in this case it leaves the output On so the heater’s thermostat continues to operate normally while the Apex is unavailable.

Set ON instructs it to always leave the output On unless another condition overrides it.

Lastly, the If Tmp command only turns Off the output of it’s too warm.

See my series of Apex tutorials for more tips:
Thank you for the confirmation I plan on setting it up this evening! I also bookmarked your tutorials, thanks for your efforts.

OP
OP
M

mchute85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I misread your question. I use mine in the opposite fashion. Apex controls my heaters and my failsafe is the heater controller. With that said, Apex has NEVER failed in 7 years.
Thank you for the quick reply. I may switch over to your strategy, but wanted to start by protecting the Apex.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 93 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back