Apex in the uk

Sajacobs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I am looking at a massive upgrade in about a year and am aware that I will need a controller at some point! So my questions are as follows!
Should I go with apex or are there different ones to consider?
If apex is the one to get, should I wait till i get the new tank or start looking into buying new or second hand?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New: They are MAP priced and only the manufacture can let distributors put them on sale. Normally 10% to 15% off at xmas.
Used: I would be sure to test it out for issues before buying.

OP
OP
Sajacobs

Sajacobs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New: They are MAP priced and only the manufacture can let distributors put them on sale. Normally 10% to 15% off at xmas.
Used: I would be sure to test it out for issues before buying.
I think best go for new then as I would have no idea how to test for issues!

KarlsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you in the uk? Looking at pictures on uk sites I am not sure if they look like the normal uk plug fitting?
Almost all photos on uk sellers sites show the USA plug downto the fact there would seem to be no Neptune Systems official promo for a UK plug Apex system. Don't worry you'll get the UK plug, but just bare in mind we in the UK don't get the EB832 just an old style EB6 so are not getting power monitoring of the sockets and no inbuilt 1link ports. I still have an Apex and would not change it, just add to the system as and when I can.

paul01609

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have the old energy bar not the new ones I have no idea why,the pictures you probably looking at possibly the new energy bars

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get Apex here in the UK and yes they come with a UK plug. You get the old energy bar not the new version and it says so in most sales details.

I get most of my equipment from here

There are other controllers GHL etc so have a look. Apex is very simple to use, I’ve got 2 units

If you can afford it just buy a new one or your asking for potential issues.

paul01609

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you buy used chances are you will have to replace probes and stuff I would just buy new if you can afford it

OP
OP
Sajacobs

Sajacobs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for you advice! I will look for the "sales" as I don't need it for the tank I right now! Seams like buying used is more luck than anything else! I thought the pictures on websites might just be the sales photos from the US release so its put my mind at ease that if I buy from a UK site I will get uk plugs.

OP
OP
Sajacobs

Sajacobs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost all photos on uk sellers sites show the USA plug downto the fact there would seem to be no Neptune Systems official promo for a UK plug Apex system. Don't worry you'll get the UK plug, but just bare in mind we in the UK don't get the EB832 just an old style EB6 so are not getting power monitoring of the sockets and no inbuilt 1link ports. I still have an Apex and would not change it, just add to the system as and when I can.
I understand the power monitoring, but what is the 1link ports? Sorry again we all start somewhere though!

OP
OP
Sajacobs

Sajacobs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get Apex here in the UK and yes they come with a UK plug. You get the old energy bar not the new version and it says so in most sales details.

I get most of my equipment from here

There are other controllers GHL etc so have a look. Apex is very simple to use, I’ve got 2 units

If you can afford it just buy a new one or your asking for potential issues.
I have used Charterhouse before its good to know they are good for pricing and sales! With the other controllers is there any that you would swap for your apex if money was not a factor?

paul01609

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the power monitoring, but what is the 1link ports? Sorry again we all start somewhere though!
you can get the one link add on,it just supply’s power to stuff like apex return pumps stuff like that,saves having loads of power bricks

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Charterhouse before its good to know they are good for pricing and sales! With the other controllers is there any that you would swap for your apex if money was not a factor?
For me money isn’t a factor at all (you should see my equipment list! Lol) and personally I wouldn’t swap Apex for anything else.

Theres a thread on here asking a similar question with GHL etc and people moving from one to the other so it might be worth searching/reading it and also look on the GHL website

The thing is, Apex isn’t perfect, it’s very good and very simple to use, but the salinity probe I find is more of a monitor than an accurate piece of equipment. Ive tried going down the full automation route with leak detectors to turn off main pumps etc. Problem is they can give false alerts which causes more issues.

There are many great add ons like the DOS for auto water changes which is very simple to use, all sorts of things. Switching the cabinet light on with it, float switches to monitor levels via the breakout box, it can do pretty much anything you can imagine and it’s very simple to program. I find it a bit like the old computer language ‘basic’ when computers first came out but that’s my age! Lol

The bottom line is, if it failed would I buy another, yes.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1Link ports are used to connect certain modules which contain motors requiring more power than what’s provided through the normal AquaBus cables. These modules include the WAV, DOS, COR-15, and Trident.

See my Apex Hardware Overview article for more details on all the available modules:

You might also want to review my whole series of Apex tutorials to get an idea of how to program it. Most of the basic functions can be configured without any programming knowledge, but for more advanced automation, coding is required.

OP
OP
Sajacobs

Sajacobs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me money isn’t a factor at all (you should see my equipment list! Lol) and personally I wouldn’t swap Apex for anything else.

Theres a thread on here asking a similar question with GHL etc and people moving from one to the other so it might be worth searching/reading it and also look on the GHL website

The thing is, Apex isn’t perfect, it’s very good and very simple to use, but the salinity probe I find is more of a monitor than an accurate piece of equipment. Ive tried going down the full automation route with leak detectors to turn off main pumps etc. Problem is they can give false alerts which causes more issues.

There are many great add ons like the DOS for auto water changes which is very simple to use, all sorts of things. Switching the cabinet light on with it, float switches to monitor levels via the breakout box, it can do pretty much anything you can imagine and it’s very simple to program. I find it a bit like the old computer language ‘basic’ when computers first came out but that’s my age! Lol

The bottom line is, if it failed would I buy another, yes.
I remember 'basic' (showing my age too lol) I did a little work with pascal and c aswell!
I will have a look at GHL. Its good to know that you stand by apex even if there are issues that says a lot about its fan base! I am disabled so am at home a lot so if there are false alarms I am here to investigate! So it wouldn't become a massive issue sorting them out!

OP
OP
Sajacobs

Sajacobs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1Link ports are used to connect certain modules which contain motors requiring more power than what’s provided through the normal AquaBus cables. These modules include the WAV, DOS, COR-15, and Trident.

See my Apex Hardware Overview article for more details on all the available modules:

You might also want to review my whole series of Apex tutorials to get an idea of how to program it. Most of the basic functions can be configured without any programming knowledge, but for more advanced automation, coding is required.

This is perfect. Totally what I was hoping for thank you!

paul01609

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the ghl kh director as well with SA doser i Cannot really say I like the software for it.
but it works

Back