apex.local not working, please help!

aircrane1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a brand new user and have not been able to find the answer to my current question via searching this and other forums so I must ask it for myself. I have a brand new Apex system, hardwired to my internet via a Netgear powerline adaptor. I am at the step in setting up seen below.

Sign into the APEX Local dashboard

• Default Username is admin
  • Default Password is 1234

Problem is that Apex.local does not exist as far as my laptop is concerned. Every time I try to go there to log in I get "server not found". I have tried quite a few different ways, using different computers and different browsers. I have the distinct feeling that I am missing something incredibly simple but I am at my wits end. I am not a computer guy per se so any help would be greatly appreciated. I just want to get this thing set up before I decide to sell it off and go back to old school reefing.

ontop27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried this for hours and couldnt get it to work, tablets phones, pcs nada... tried a different browser and it worked. I forget which but try ie, chrome, and firefox.

OP
OP
A

aircrane1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received a response from Neptune customer service last night and will give their suggestions a shot when I get home this evening. I'll post the results in the hopes that it may help somebody else along the line.

MarineREEFpassion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received a response from Neptune customer service last night and will give their suggestions a shot when I get home this evening. I'll post the results in the hopes that it may help somebody else along the line.
[/QUOTE
did you make it home? Why haven’t you done any update? I’m stumped and would love to hear what Neptune replied with. I’m waiting for a reply on my help ticket. All I know is with the amount of money anything Apex or Neptune is you’d think this stuff would be literally turn key or just a simple step by step. Why all the hassles if login keys or trying to find a god dang IP. Hopefully they’ll reply with an actual resolution and not a BS automated,” here’s how to set up your system” reply.
Well when I hear back I’ll be sure to post their reply, if it’s useful lol

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you change the hostname of your Apex under network settings?
If so you need to use that name.local not apex.local. E.g. mine is bradsapex.local.

The IP address it has will vary depending on your router, normally assigned by DHCP. I like to reserve mine to help avoid disconnects, seems to speed up the reconnection process.

FBD03C97-3B63-4269-92A7-1143AC1335EE.png

MarineREEFpassion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If so you need to use that name.local not apex.local. E.g. mine is bradsapex.local.

The IP address it has will vary depending on your router, normally assigned by DHCP. I like to reserve mine to help avoid disconnects, seems to speed up the reconnection process.

I honestly don’t think I made it that far lol. The only name option it gave me was in the app when it asked where the tank is, i,e living room or dining room I think it had as default. Other than that no. And I tried the two names in the many many times I went through that step when trying to do the whole,” Apex.local/whatever name.local and nothing.

MarineREEFpassion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

To be honest with how much their stuff is I’m not a fan as of yet. I’m sure it’s much better once the BS set up is done, but as of so far my first opinion of over priced and just ehhh stands lol. The only reason I got it was to run the FMK flow meter set up it has to monitor my new rollermat and UV light.

Wasabi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure your WiFi isn’t 5ghz it’s the 2.4 one. Other wise trident wouldn’t be able to connect to it.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.local is a domain that relies on bonjour/mdns type technology. Put another way, that address may not work depending upon your wifi configuration (or home networking) and the device types (some windows device may not resolve that address).

A good way to bypass this is to find out the local IP of the controller from your wifi controller. I use comcast and can use the comcast wifi gateway (or xfinity) app to find out the exact IP of individual device. Google wifi and most other wifi routers also provide a way to get this information. Once you have the IP you can use it to access the controller interface from any device connected in the same network. In short, find out the IP and use it instead of the .local name.

MarineREEFpassion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure your WiFi isn’t 5ghz it’s the 2.4 one. Other wise trident wouldn’t be able to connect to it.
Yeah I did that. I luckily got a good step by step email reply back from Neptune that. Thanks all for the help and advise.

merseb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can find your Apex IP via fusion Under Network Setup.

From the icon, the gears icon, after expension the wifi icone and is there.

1595518669270.png

1595518705258.png

1595518841357.png

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found the easiest way to resolve issues connecting locally is to login into your router and reserve an IP address for the apex (based on its MAC address). You can find your apex wifi MAC address with apps such as Fing which discovers all devices on your home wifi.

You then just put the ip address in your browser when you are connected to your home wifi and you are straight into your apex.

Hope that helps.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly don’t think I made it that far lol. The only name option it gave me was in the app when it asked where the tank is, i,e living room or dining room I think it had as default. Other than that no. And I tried the two names in the many many times I went through that step when trying to do the whole,” Apex.local/whatever name.local and nothing.

Thanks. It wasn't clear in the setup that the tank name would also be used to create the portal URL. :) TBH I probably missed that.

So, by default it is APEX.LOCAL. If you named yours something like, OFFICE REEF, then the URL would be OFFICE_REEF.LOCAL.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Helpful thread! Thanks!

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. It wasn't clear in the setup that the tank name would also be used to create the portal URL. :) TBH I probably missed that.

So, by default it is APEX.LOCAL. If you named yours something like, OFFICE REEF, then the URL would be OFFICE_REEF.LOCAL.
My apex disconnected from my wifi and I've been trying for an hour to get it back online. Apex.local wasn't working because I had named my apex "home" so I needed to use home.local. Thank you for this!

mcola78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am now dealing with this same issue. I am trying to find my name but when I type in the options I think it is, this doesn't work. Per Tastee OP, I cant even get to that screen to find my name. Any other suggestions? Thanks

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am now dealing with this same issue. I am trying to find my name but when I type in the options I think it is, this doesn't work. Per Tastee OP, I cant even get to that screen to find my name. Any other suggestions? Thanks
It should be the name in your apex list

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220528-120212_APEX Fusion.jpg
    Screenshot_20220528-120212_APEX Fusion.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 142

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back