Apex Neptune Programming (Skimmer, Pump) Question

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon all, My First Forum Question and FIRST Day on the Forum, I am trying have the following done with my Skimmer. If I turn off the Return Pump for maintenance, then the Skimmer turns off and turns back on 2 minutes AFTER the return pump turns back on. In addition, when I hit Virtual Feed A, the SKIMMER turns off for 30 minutes and automatically turns back on. Finally, if Water Temp raises above 82 Degrees, Skimmer will Turn OFF, until temperature falls below 82 degrees. Is this possible or am I way off. Here is my code if ANYONE can assist, it would be greatly appriciated

Fallback OFF
Set ON
If Output Return_Pump = OFF Then OFF
Defer 002:00 Then ON
If FeedA 000 Then OFF
Defer 030:00 Then ON

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes there is, but you need to use a virtual outlet or two. Your use of Defer statements like that won’t do the trick. If someone else doesn’t reply sooner I’ll post a suggestion in the next day or two when I have a little more time.

I’m also not clear how you are using the FeedA cycle - The cycle itself has a duration and the programming allows an additional delay after the cycle finishes. E.g. If FeedA 030 Then OFF will turn off the skimmer when the FeedA cycle starts, for the duration of the FeedA cycle and for an additional 30 mins after it finishes.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets see....

I typically won't write code for someone, but rather give them the proper syntax's to use.

So you want it turn off at 82 degrees, turn off for 30 minutes during your feedA program, and also turn off if your return pump gets shut off. Pretty simple coding really, if you understand the proper syntax's.

I'm going to assume your feed mode is 10 minutes and your on a newer apex, and your return pump outlet is called Return_pump......

Fallback ON (For a skimmer, I would fallback to on)
if output Return_pump = off then off
if feedA 020 then off (this turns off the outlet during feeda and will keep it off for an additional 20 minutes)
if temp > 82 then off

Quick, simple, and what I like to call "dirty" coding.

OP
OP
jphilip813

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets see....

I typically won't write code for someone, but rather give them the proper syntax's to use.

So you want it turn off at 82 degrees, turn off for 30 minutes during your feedA program, and also turn off if your return pump gets shut off. Pretty simple coding really, if you understand the proper syntax's.

I'm going to assume your feed mode is 10 minutes and your on a newer apex, and your return pump outlet is called Return_pump......

Fallback ON (For a skimmer, I would fallback to on)
if output Return_pump = off then off
if feedA 020 then off (this turns off the outlet during feeda and will keep it off for an additional 20 minutes)
if temp > 82 then off

Quick, simple, and what I like to call "dirty" coding.

Good morning, I am on the newer systems (APEX EL). I actually figured out the coding by doing some reading on this forum and looking at what I wanted. Thanks again for your assistance. Here is what I have done and it does worked once I tested it on my end.

Fallback ON
Set ON
If Output Main_Pump = OFF Then OFF
Defer 005:00 Then ON
If FeedA 005 Then OFF
If Tmp > 83.0 Then OFF

When I conduct maintenance by turning off the main return pump (Main Pump), the Skimmer will shut off and will not turn back on until the Main Return is turned back on, with a Five minute delay. In addition, the FeedA is used on my end to add coral nutrients, which requires the Skimmer to be off for 30 minutes and I added a Five minute delay to ensure ALL of the nutrients are utilized. I also adjusted the feedA timer to 1800 seconds (30 minutes). Finally, during the summer months here in MD, the first floor is a little hot and raise the temperature and I do not have the space for a chiller. If the temperature rises above 83 degrees, the intent is to reduce some heat in the sump. I have NOT have had to test this portion yet, thankfully.

OP
OP
jphilip813

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes there is, but you need to use a virtual outlet or two. Your use of Defer statements like that won’t do the trick. If someone else doesn’t reply sooner I’ll post a suggestion in the next day or two when I have a little more time.

I’m also not clear how you are using the FeedA cycle - The cycle itself has a duration and the programming allows an additional delay after the cycle finishes. E.g. If FeedA 030 Then OFF will turn off the skimmer when the FeedA cycle starts, for the duration of the FeedA cycle and for an additional 30 mins after it finishes.

Good morning, thanks for your response, it is greatly appreciated. I actually figured out what i was doing incorrectly by reviewing various codes on this forum. Here is the code listed below. I tested it out and it worked. Only one I have not tested is the temperature. The code is listed in the skimmer programming section. I adjusted the feedA cycle time to 1800 seconds (30 minutes) plus the additional 5 minutes in order to feed corals which requires the skimmer to be off during feeding for 30 minutes.

Fallback ON
Set ON
If Output Main_Pump = OFF Then OFF
Defer 005:00 Then ON
If FeedA 005 Then OFF
If Tmp > 83.0 Then OFF

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup should work just fine.

Forgot to write the defer in my coding. Just remember that your apex will have to reach 83.1 for it to shutoff, other wise at 83.0 the temp is still "less then". Not a huge deal, but something to remember when writing code for other things.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slightly different objectives, but mine looks like:

Set OFF
Fallback OFF
If Time 08:00 to 08:00 Then ON
If Output DC-6000 = OFF Then OFF
If Power Apex Off 000 Then OFF (when on UPS power)
If FeedA 045 Then OFF
If FeedB 060 Then OFF
If FeedC 060 Then OFF
If Sw1 CLOSED Then OFF (leak detection)
If Sw2 CLOSED Then OFF (leak detection)

I like your Defer though, I may have to add that.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one concern with your choices. An issue with warm water is that the oxygen level is reduced and the skimmer helps to ensure good gas exchange. I doubt it would be an issue at 82, but I'd rather receive an alarm at 82 and retain the gas exchange. I think that shutting down your lighting would provide a greater impact on heat.

OP
OP
jphilip813

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one concern with your choices. An issue with warm water is that the oxygen level is reduced and the skimmer helps to ensure good gas exchange. I doubt it would be an issue at 82, but I'd rather receive an alarm at 82 and retain the gas exchange. I think that shutting down your lighting would provide a greater impact on heat.

Hey Breadman03, thanks for the advice...I might follow that recommendation....seems more appropriate and less destructive....

OP
OP
jphilip813

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slightly different objectives, but mine looks like:

Set OFF
Fallback OFF
If Time 08:00 to 08:00 Then ON
If Output DC-6000 = OFF Then OFF
If Power Apex Off 000 Then OFF (when on UPS power)
If FeedA 045 Then OFF
If FeedB 060 Then OFF
If FeedC 060 Then OFF
If Sw1 CLOSED Then OFF (leak detection)
If Sw2 CLOSED Then OFF (leak detection)

I like your Defer though, I may have to add that.

Looks like you went all (NEPTUNE) with the entire leak detection system...not bad....I like what you have so far...

Coupla reef nutz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually no, I made two DIY leak detectors with some scrap plastic and speaker wire!
Can anyone tell me what I have wrong with this code it won’t turn the skimmer off when u feed a
I want it to read
If FEEDA 060... but that won’t work either.. hmmm
B17BB01A-927D-459B-A639-6047CE2DEBB8.png

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The feed statement should be at the bottom of the stack of code. Also no need for a ON statement for the outlet, as the outlet comes on, it won't be OFF anymore and the set statement would make the other outlet be on.

Coupla reef nutz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The feed statement should be at the bottom of the stack of code. Also no need for a ON statement for the outlet, as the outlet comes on, it won't be OFF anymore and the set statement would make the other outlet be on.
That makes sense. I’m over thinking it. I’ll try that this evening thank you!

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember when programming the apex, it uses the last statement as its deciding factor on what to do. In your case your other outlet was on, so your last statement said to stay on if that outlet was on. This why the feed mode has to be at the bottom of the stack.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 195 71.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back