Apex Neptune Themed/Planet Crystalline Build!

OP
OP
michealprater

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! I'm running a 40B (going on 2 years) and have been thinking a lot lately about upsizing.

You will have to let me know how you like that Planet tank after it's up and running for a bit.
The beauty of the upgrade is a lot of my equipment will transfer and be right sized. Especially lighting and skimmer. I had an oversized skimmer so it will be right sized now. And my light will be a perfect fit.

OP
OP
michealprater

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely hate the look of the UV sterilizer in there. Doesn’t match at all. May force me to buy a black one in the future. I wish I knew if it was safe to just paint it with grey Krylon paint that says it will stick to PVC.
IMG_4493.jpeg

OP
OP
michealprater

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a smoking deal on an entire Apex setup. This will allow me to use a COR20 pump and a dose. It’s also a step up from the el model I have so I believe that will eliminate the need for my PM1 and PM2. Plus it has an eb832 and eb8 so I should be able to run the entire setup through Apex now.

ThaBeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I absolutely hate the look of the UV sterilizer in there. Doesn’t match at all. May force me to buy a black one in the future. I wish I knew if it was safe to just paint it with grey Krylon paint that says it will stick to PVC.
IMG_4493.jpeg
You can probably just buy a black housing from the Mfg and transfer the 'guts' over to the new housing

OP
OP
michealprater

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slow progress, but going! Got UV sterilizer painted, looks great, put in a bulb and it just flickered. Realized I got 22w instead of 25w. I am hoping that was the problem, I am terrified it could have a bad ballast. Got the dos mounted and the brackets for the two kamoers mounted. In the process of building my dosing containers as well.
IMG_4525.jpeg
IMG_4526.jpeg

OP
OP
michealprater

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making some major progress on the controller board.
IMG_4545.jpeg

Designed some cable rails to run along the top of the stand in the back so cords wouldn’t hang down.
IMG_4546.jpeg

Getting close to tackling the cord mess. No clue where I am going to tuck all these and keep them out of sight.
IMG_4547.jpeg

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making some major progress on the controller board.
IMG_4545.jpeg

Designed some cable rails to run along the top of the stand in the back so cords wouldn’t hang down.
IMG_4546.jpeg

Getting close to tackling the cord mess. No clue where I am going to tuck all these and keep them out of sight.
IMG_4547.jpeg
Controller board looks nice!

kribbz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure whatever you do with those cords, they are easy to separate. That way if you need to take a pump down for maintenance or replace a powerhead, you don't have to untangle a bundle of cables.

What are you substrate plans? Bare Bottom or sand this go around?

Are you adding anymore rock?

Last edited:
OP
OP
michealprater

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure whatever you do with those cords, they are easy to separate. That way if you need to take a pump down for maintenance or replace a powerhead, you don't have to untangle a bundle of cables.

What are you substrate plans? Bare Bottom or sand this go around?

Are you adding anymore rock?
Yeah, the cords will be separated and labeled so I can easily identify them.

Bare bottom for life. I will never do sand again. Only a couple species I like that I can’t have, so no big deal. I love the clean look of bare bottom. So much easier to maintain. I just think sand looks nasty unless a person stirs it daily.. and I am trying to be as hands off as possible.

As far as rock, that’s TBD. I am going to see how minimalist it looks once it’s in there. If I need more for it to look proper, I’ll just add a small amount of dry rock at a time. I have a nice biomedia chamber in the sump. I will likely take advantage of it with a couple bio bricks.

OP
OP
michealprater

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4569.jpeg

Power bars labeled. Apex powered up and programmed.

IMG_4568.jpeg

Black tubing added to attach Co2 scrubber. 2 of the 3 dosing containers just tossed in there to see how they looked.

IMG_4567.jpeg

Heater controllers mounted, additional power bar mounted for any future expansion.

OP
OP
michealprater

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve did so many builds in my 24 years in this hobby and I don’t know that I have ever enjoyed one more than this. It has presented so many challenges with the limited space, and I’ve had to brainstorm so much to figure out solutions. I have some more great problem solutions to share, but they have to finish printing first. Stay tuned.

kribbz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the cords will be separated and labeled so I can easily identify them.

Bare bottom for life. I will never do sand again. Only a couple species I like that I can’t have, so no big deal. I love the clean look of bare bottom. So much easier to maintain. I just think sand looks nasty unless a person stirs it daily.. and I am trying to be as hands off as possible.

As far as rock, that’s TBD. I am going to see how minimalist it looks once it’s in there. If I need more for it to look proper, I’ll just add a small amount of dry rock at a time. I have a nice biomedia chamber in the sump. I will likely take advantage of it with a couple bio bricks.
watch out for them bio bricks :) I had some in my last sump and aluminum went off the charts. When I pulled the bricks they disintegrated into mush.

OP
OP
michealprater

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I been down with the flu all week, I am starting to feel somewhat better. I really hope I have the strength because tomorrow is the big move day! I will try to take as many pictures as possible, but I don’t anticipate there being many as I will need to be back up and going ASAP.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 47 29.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 34 21.4%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 15 9.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 56 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back