Apex Neptune Themed/Planet Crystalline Build!

OP
OP
michealprater

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my trident was out of warranty and it shot craps. I worked with support, and we tried everything, the support team decided it was not possible to be fixed. Much to my surprise, they offered to send me a refurbished unit to replace it and even expedited shipping on the condition I returned my unit. I was thrilled. So yesterday I receive the refurbished unit and followed the instructions to a tee using the task menu. As soon as I got to the step where I plug in the trident it crashed my entire apex system turning everything off on the tank and sending both my eb832s into an error state. So I unplugged the trident and everything went back to normal. I stood there and scratched my head for a minute, tried it again… same issue. So clearly they sent me a unit with a very bad short in it!!! I am not sure if they are even testing their refurbished models! I am very lucky this did not do permanent damage to my entire system. I am trying to fight off extreme frustration here. I emailed support to see what they would do, but at this point I have two completely junk tridents and haven’t had automated testing in a few weeks. I am trying to be patient while I wait for a response.

GratefulDad1968

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just read through your “journal”… absolutely love the build (although, it’s serious evidence that your OCD has not cleared up)! Truly, though, this has been a great read. Will follow along. I’m sorry about your Trident problem. Hopefully, it gets cleared up quickly. I’m in the process of starting up my own reef tank (75g), and I plan to copy some stuff off of your paper. I’m still in the gathering ideas and equipment stage. I’m hopeful to start putting things together in the next few weeks or so. Looking forward to seeing how well things progress on your end. Enjoy the ride!

OP
OP
michealprater

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read through your “journal”… absolutely love the build (although, it’s serious evidence that your OCD has not cleared up)! Truly, though, this has been a great read. Will follow along. I’m sorry about your Trident problem. Hopefully, it gets cleared up quickly. I’m in the process of starting up my own reef tank (75g), and I plan to copy some stuff off of your paper. I’m still in the gathering ideas and equipment stage. I’m hopeful to start putting things together in the next few weeks or so. Looking forward to seeing how well things progress on your end. Enjoy the ride!
Thanks for reading! Neptune sent me a brand new unit and it is working. Still getting some wonky readings, but it’s breaking in. Looking forward to following along with your build as well!!!

OP
OP
michealprater

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been upping my dose of kalk slowly trying to get my PH up. Quickly finding out my vessil under the tank has to be filled daily. I think I going to run a line into the basement to do kalk in my 44 gallon brute. @kribbz turned me onto Chris Meckley, now I am obsessed with getting my PH up to 8.3 average.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your build is beautiful! I love the attention to detail! I'm extremely impressed with your DIY.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thinking about doing a 3D printed item in my sump too. This is inspiring.

OP
OP
michealprater

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about doing a 3D printed item in my sump too. This is inspiring.
I learned to use Onshape CAD off youtube videos and have learned to draw the items I need. It takes a bit to learn, but not overly difficult. I have a shelf printing right now so I can mount it to the inside of my door for dry foods, etc. If it works out I will put a second one in there. I just want to maximize the use of the space as much as possible.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to look. It has been a labor of love! Now if I can get rid of these dang dinos lol.
Very nice build!
I ordered a 150 planet and have at least another 6 weeks to see it. I'll be following your build but it won't be anywhere near your quality. LOL

If your dino get worse during the day it's probably ostreopsis.
You have the uv, that will be your greatest tool. Just make sure the phosphates are up.

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I just faithfully read every post and I'm jealous of your attention to detail!! Dang this is a clean build! Love all the printed parts! I have a printer myself and I'm trying to bring myself to design mounts for my various pump controllers.

I have several tanks and I do have bta's in one, but I'd be real nervous to glue down some expensive torches or sticks. Do yours not move around much? Mine didn't until they split then all sorts of movement. One is currently hugging a hammer and it's not pleased.

Great build though and keep them updates coming!

OP
OP
michealprater

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I just faithfully read every post and I'm jealous of your attention to detail!! Dang this is a clean build! Love all the printed parts! I have a printer myself and I'm trying to bring myself to design mounts for my various pump controllers.

I have several tanks and I do have bta's in one, but I'd be real nervous to glue down some expensive torches or sticks. Do yours not move around much? Mine didn't until they split then all sorts of movement. One is currently hugging a hammer and it's not pleased.

Great build though and keep them updates coming!
I highly recommend diving full on into printing your brackets! It’s so rewarding to mix hobbies and get organized.

As far as nems… they typically stay put unless you make changes to lighting or flow, and yes, you will have rogue splits. The use of an anemone cannon is a great way to remove them and isolate them for trade or sale.

OP
OP
michealprater

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t posted any pic in awhile. This one is a simple shelf I drew up to hold my dry foods. Just trying to maximize the use of limited space. I accidentally cracked it trying to mount it, so I just used velcro... few imperfections add character lol. Stuff is arriving today to relocate my kalk to the basement! Excited I will be able to mix up several weeks worth!
IMG_4727.jpeg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 76 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 76 29.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 54 21.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 48 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.2%
Back