Apex Neptune Themed/Planet Crystalline Build!

OP
OP
michealprater

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I recently purchased the ecotech MP holders if I would have seen this would have asked about that. I have a RD X that I would like to have a holder and I may get an inbird for heater controller. Additionally it would be nice to have printed pipe hanger/holder. Something you may be able to do? I can message you to keep your build on topic.
Sure, no problem at all.

OP
OP
michealprater

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loving all the frags you have!
I got very lucky on those zoas. A local reefer who had a zoa frag tank decided to get out of the hobby during a move and i was able to buy all the frags cheaply. I really need to move some, but I cant really sell anything until these dinos are completely gone.

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are valves on the return lines needed with a variable speed return pump?
Yes. you should always have a valve on each return because if you decide you want to do other things with the same return pump and run a manifold off the same plumbing, you will need a valve at every water outlet to balance the flow regardless of pump speed.

OP
OP
michealprater

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshly recalibrated PH probe. Pretty excited to see this number.
IMG_4775.jpeg

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. you should always have a valve on each return because if you decide you want to do other things with the same return pump and run a manifold off the same plumbing, you will need a valve at every water outlet to balance the flow regardless of pump speed.
Yess. valve with unions.. absolutely

OP
OP
michealprater

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been running without for a month and the variable speed worked out to adjusting the flow. If I ever decide to add a manifold or whatnot, I can add valves in then. I have a union and a check valve on it already. Not really sure what I would want to add to it though.

OP
OP
michealprater

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have finally reached my PH number using the Meckley method…. Holy smokes! Talk about consistency!

IMG_4779.jpeg

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been running without for a month and the variable speed worked out to adjusting the flow. If I ever decide to add a manifold or whatnot, I can add valves in then. I have a union and a check valve on it already. Not really sure what I would want to add to it though.
Well, just having that manifold there even with a couple hose barbs, you can easily hook up a carbon reactor, a UV...literally anything you can dream up or need when in a pinch and they are there all the time for you instead of having to rig something up with a pump every time...it's not necessary, but it's an excellent convenience item that you will pat yourself on the back for.

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So I have finally reached my PH number using the Meckley method…. Holy smokes! Talk about consistency!

IMG_4779.jpeg

I skimmed through the article. I’ll have to read it with more consideration later when I have time, but I’m curious if that method could be modified to use a kalk stirrer in place of his slightly modified mix-with-ATO method.

OP
OP
michealprater

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, just having that manifold there even with a couple hose barbs, you can easily hook up a carbon reactor, a UV...literally anything you can dream up or need when in a pinch and they are there all the time for you instead of having to rig something up with a pump every time...it's not necessary, but it's an excellent convenience item that you will pat yourself on the back for.
Absolutely! certainly would be a positive future addition. I currently run UV independent of the return system though for ease of service.

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Absolutely! certainly would be a positive future addition. I currently run UV independent of the return system though for ease of service.

I wanted so badly to have a dedicated closed loop drilled into my tank for UV but it was going to cost me another $500 to have that done :rolleyes:

And I’m definitely not brave enough to drill my own tank!

Last edited:
OP
OP
michealprater

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I skimmed through the article. I’ll have to read it with more consideration later when I have time, but I’m curious if that method could be modified to use a kalk stirrer in place of his slightly modified mix-with-ATO method.
It certainly could. Only reason he doesnt recomment a stirrer is because he is of the belief, along with Chris Wood of Captiv8, there is no real benefit to stirring kalk.

OP
OP
michealprater

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted so badly to have a dedicated closed loop drilled into my tank for UV but it was going to cost me another $500 to have that done :rolleyes:

And I’m defining not brave enough to drill my own tank!
Mine is soft lined in. A pump in one sump for input and the output goes a few chambers down. The entire unit can be removed in seconds.

OP
OP
michealprater

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity stays very steady. Alkalinity yes. But not out of control. It ran up to mid 10s during PH ramp up, I suspect it will now start to taper off some since I have achieved ideal PH. If you are familiar with the Meckley method, you will know it says not to worry about the alk during this period. I personally have ran mine in the 10s for a long time. With proper ph, this will increase coral growth, however there is some debate about the strength of the skeleton. I would like to see it drop down closer to 9, but I am not willing to sacrifice PH to achieve that.
Was your salinity or alkalinity affected by the kalk dosing

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like the reef breeder led? How long have you ran them?
I will be running 2 50"s on my 60×30×22 system.
I went with 2, overkill probably, but I did not want bars.
I am always looking for others input on them.
No one I know runs them so I have only seen pics.
How high mounted, par, settings, amount of shimmer?
I will adjust mine using a par meter to achieve the levels I want for an acro system.
Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
michealprater

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like the reef breeder led? How long have you ran them?
I will be running 2 50"s on my 60×30×22 system.
I went with 2, overkill probably, but I did not want bars.
I am always looking for others input on them.
No one I know runs them so I have only seen pics.
How high mounted, par, settings, amount of shimmer?
I will adjust mine using a par meter to achieve the levels I want for an acro system.
Thanks in advance.
I really like them. I think they are 8” off water. I don’t know par, I really need a meter. Shimmer is ok, nothing impressive. Kessil is shimmer king. I been running them 3 or 4 years.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back