Apex not connecting automatically after power outage

ShepherdTech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am away from the unit and have had a few power outages and it never connects back automatically. Is there a setting that needs to be changed? I haven’t updated recently (5.05 1A20) but believe this was supposed to have been fixed years ago, before I purchased the tank and Apex. Anyone have info on setting that need to be changed? I have a tank sitter and don’t want to update it remotely and have something happen while I am away.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've ran an apex classic since 2016 and it has required me to reboot it (by pulling the power cord) every time the power goes out. hopefully that is all that is required.
even if the power is not cycled it still preforms all of its scheduled activities but it won't connect to the net or maintain its heartbeat.

OP
OP
ShepherdTech

ShepherdTech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've ran an apex classic since 2016 and it has required me to reboot it (by pulling the power cord) every time the power goes out. hopefully that is all that is required.
even if the power is not cycled it still preforms all of its scheduled activities but it won't connect to the net or maintain its heartbeat.
That really throws a wrench into monitoring when away. Seems like reconnecting after a disconnect would be a simple thing.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is commonly caused by the sequence of startup. The Apex boots up very quickly after a power failure. But most Internet routers take much longer to boot up. Mine takes at least 10 minutes before it's ready. Meanwhile, the Apex has been sending our DHCP requests on the network to get an IP address, but it's not getting any response. It appears that the Apex eventually gives up and is left with no IP address. Later, the Internet router is ready to answer these DHCP requests, so rebooting the Apex at that time allows it to get an IP address and resumes normal network communications.

One workaround is to manually assign the IP address settings to your Apex so it doesn't need to rely on the Internet router to assign one at bootup. Just be sure you understand IP addressing, and reserve the address on your router so it doesn't hand it out to any other device on your network.

Another good solution for shorter power failures is to connect your Apex and your Internet router to a UPS backup battery. See my tutorial on Apex Power Monitoring for details on how to integrate your Apex with a UPS battery, including how to detect power failures and send you an alarm notification that the power is out:

wisnia99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I have connected all my devices like on your diagram. When I'm testing the system and pull the plugs the apex turns everything that I indicated off like it should. The problem is when the power comes on. The apex always keeps blinking purple and never comes online the devices that were off don't come on. Once I pull the aqua bus cable and the power to reset the apex it comes back on line. What can be the problem? The router is always on since I fake the power outage. Thanks!

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I have connected all my devices like on your diagram. When I'm testing the system and pull the plugs the apex turns everything that I indicated off like it should. The problem is when the power comes on. The apex always keeps blinking purple and never comes online the devices that were off don't come on. Once I pull the aqua bus cable and the power to reset the apex it comes back on line. What can be the problem? The router is always on since I fake the power outage. Thanks!
I personally don't know how to resolve the issue. As mentioned earlier in the thread my classic did it and am now running an Apex EL that does the same thing again.
Fortunately in my case it holds to the same schedule and really the only operation affected is the mobile readout.

Back