Apex Optical Sensors

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all can any one tell me how Neptune is determining that it has an optical sensor plugged in over a water on floor sensor. Here is why I ask, I was having trouble with my RODI storage container I have a low level sensor and a high level sensor well when I configure it the low level goes back to a water on floor sensor. I called Neptune and yes they are sending a new sensor. But when the Auto detect is on it goes back to a water on floor sensor. I would assume they are just a switch witch in open or closed. So Neptune says it will not work properly if it was left like this with the auto detect off. Can anyone explain this to me. I asked the tech both on the phone and in writing and they say they do not have the technical aspects of these sensors

hijinks7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just hooked mine up and you need to switch the outlet between leak sensor and optical sensor. You need to un-check "use auto dection" on the FMM module configuration. Then it turns into an dropdown where you can select what mode its in. Then its just OPEN/CLOSED

My neptune solenoid that's RODI bucket gravity fed into my sump looks like

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Swx3_1 OPEN Then ON
If Swx3_1 CLOSED Then OFF
Defer 001:00 Then ON

Swx3_1 is my optical sensor in the sump.

Screen Shot 2018-05-12 at 9.33.58 PM.png

OP
OP
Mark Gray

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just hooked mine up and you need to switch the outlet between leak sensor and optical sensor. You need to un-check "use auto dection" on the FMM module configuration. Then it turns into an dropdown where you can select what mode its in. Then its just ON/OFF

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Swx3_1 OPEN Then ON

yes 100% understand this but Neptune says if you are not running auto detect and when you do it switches they say there is something wrong with thwe sensor I want to know how they detect from a water on the floor sensor to an optical sensor

hijinks7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes 100% understand this but Neptune says if you are not running auto detect and when you do it switches they say there is something wrong with thwe sensor I want to know how they detect from a water on the floor sensor to an optical sensor

Ok I see what you mean.. Mine never auto-dectected the optical sensor. I had to manually do it.

OP
OP
Mark Gray

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I see what you mean.. Mine never auto-dectected the optical sensor. I had to manually do it.
This is what I don't understand I have one sensor that is working one is not with auto detect. if I were you write a ticket to Neptune yes it is a little bit of a pain but they should replace your sensor they are sending one to me

Diznaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an issue with a FMM changing OS sensors to Flow sensors. It seemed to happen when I was doing heavy maintenance and might have bumped the plug/cord. I turned off auto detect and the problem went away. Auto detect seems kind of silly to me as a feature on this. I don't think 99.9% of us are hot swapping sensors in our module jacks. It isn't a USB port on my PC that I expect to recognize my camera, camcorder, phone, kids toy... If you have auto detect OFF it is probably your sensor. Keep in mind the programming is a possible cause. Also I have a couple OS sensors in closed tanks for salt mixing and RODI fill, they sometimes show closed because humidity inside the tank condenses on them. It is easy to test, just wipe it off and see if it opens. That can be programmed around or by adjusting sensors, since the condensing humidity drips off.

OP
OP
Mark Gray

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an issue with a FMM changing OS sensors to Flow sensors. It seemed to happen when I was doing heavy maintenance and might have bumped the plug/cord. I turned off auto detect and the problem went away. Auto detect seems kind of silly to me as a feature on this. I don't think 99.9% of us are hot swapping sensors in our module jacks. It isn't a USB port on my PC that I expect to recognize my camera, camcorder, phone, kids toy... If you have auto detect OFF it is probably your sensor. Keep in mind the programming is a possible cause. Also I have a couple OS sensors in closed tanks for salt mixing and RODI fill, they sometimes show closed because humidity inside the tank condenses on them. It is easy to test, just wipe it off and see if it opens. That can be programmed around or by adjusting sensors, since the condensing humidity drips off.
This is just what Neptune told me they say that the sensor is not working properly if it does not Auto detect and they are sending a replacement, what I am trying to figure out is how they tell the difference

Last edited:

Diznaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how they auto detect, there could be an ID chip in the sensor, but probably more likely some type of simple resistance measurement, etc... I can say that my sensor has always worked fine, just disappeared sometimes due to auto detect issue. So I just turned auto detect off because I didn't need it, and figured it was safer due to simplicity to just turn it off. Technically it is not working correctly if it is supposed to Auto Detect, so good they are replacing it. I think the only problem is that auto detect is not working, which I personally don't care about as long as the Open/Closed works.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mark Gray

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how they auto detect, there could be an ID chip in the sensor, but probably more likely some type of simple resistance measurement, etc... I can say that my sensor has always worked fine, just disappeared sometimes due to auto detect issue. So I just turned auto detect off because I didn't need it, and figured it was safer due to simplicity to just turn it off. Technically it is not working correctly if it is supposed to Auto Detect, so good they are replacing it. I think the only problem is that auto detect is not working, which I personally don't care about as long as the Open/Closed works.
I agree with you mine work fine with the auto detect off, but Neptune says it is not working properly, I ask how they were detecting this and did not get an answer. I was thinking about getting a water on the floor sensor maybe I will see if I can figure it out. I was hoping someone might know.

Diznaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what they are saying is that: It does not auto detect properly, so it is not working properly because it is supposed to auto detect. It still works as a level sensor but auto detect is ALSO supposed to work so they are replacing it. Good on them for making it right. I will still recommend disabling auto detect at setup. I have the wet floor and it seems well made and I did test it at setup. Hopefully I never actually need it! If you have an open port on an FMM I recommend it, cheap safety.

OP
OP
Mark Gray

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what they are saying is that: It does not auto detect properly, so it is not working properly because it is supposed to auto detect. It still works as a level sensor but auto detect is ALSO supposed to work so they are replacing it. Good on them for making it right. I will still recommend disabling auto detect at setup. I have the wet floor and it seems well made and I did test it at setup. Hopefully I never actually need it! If you have an open port on an FMM I recommend it, cheap safety.
Yes I have several open ports and 3 FMM's Neptune is sending me a new sensor I just had to take pictures of it and show them when I bought it. I also agree I will need a few floor sensors my new build has started now. This all came about with my RODI station.

Justintegra99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just hooked mine up and you need to switch the outlet between leak sensor and optical sensor. You need to un-check "use auto dection" on the FMM module configuration. Then it turns into an dropdown where you can select what mode its in. Then its just OPEN/CLOSED

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Swx3_1 OPEN Then ON

i know this thread is a bit old, but the lower sensor on my ATK that is just a few weeks old changed to a flow sensor in the middle of the night. I want to try to force it to identify as an optical sensor, but I cannot seem to find this screen you have here.

OP
OP
Mark Gray

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know this thread is a bit old, but the lower sensor on my ATK that is just a few weeks old changed to a flow sensor in the middle of the night. I want to try to force it to identify as an optical sensor, but I cannot seem to find this screen you have here.
call Neptune they might replace it, I am still not 100% how this is determined

Diznaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to the module. Select configure from the drop down list. It should show check boxes near auto detect. Un check them and select optical sensor. I've had no problems after doing this. It seemed like it used to happen if I bumped the connection.
Capture.JPG

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found the FMM sensors to be a little twitchy. You have to make sure they are plugged in very well. I had an optical that was convinced it was a GPH, and unplugging it, plugging it back in, and making sure it was seated all the way up did the trick.

I think when it has a flaky connection, it starts coming up with nonsense. I found that over time my initial "just plug it in" wasn't enough, and they all had to be reseated.

Since then I've not had issues.

jonmos75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to the module. Select configure from the drop down list. It should show check boxes near auto detect. Un check them and select optical sensor. I've had no problems after doing this. It seemed like it used to happen if I bumped the connection.
Capture.JPG

This is bad advice and does not resolved the issue, just because you turn off Auto Detect and select optical sensor does not mean that is what the FMM see connected to that port. You are masking a problem by turning off Auto Detect.

The only reason in an Apex or Apex EL to turn off Auto Detect is if an optical sensor keep opening and closing rapidly due to possible interference. (Not very common)

The only users that should be turning off Auto Detect are customers that have an Apex Classic, Lite or Jr and they have a 1/4", 1/2" or 2" flow sensor connected to the FMM port.

Justintegra99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Odd, I do not have those options in Fusion under modules when going into my FMM. I have a tab for basic and advanced, and neither of them have all of those options.

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having the same issue. Now, I'm feeling like I'm going nuts so please set my mind straight. I have my optical sensor in my reservoir. But, it reads "open" and the tank is full. Is it supposed to be reversed?

Annotation 2019-01-28 103857.jpg

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait...figured it out. So in case, this helps anyone...

Access you apex locally...NOTE: I'm on the Classic...and go to your Module Setup Page. Make sure to select the FMM module. You'll see your ports. My ports 3 and 4 were set to "Water on Floor" for some reason.

Annotation 2019-01-28 105331.jpg

Annotation 2019-01-28 105417.jpg

I selected Optical Sensor on Port 3. And learned that I needed to do this one at a time. So port 3 --> select Optical Sensor --> press "Port 3" button then let it do its swirly load screen. I didn't realize initially it was a button. Now its all working correctly for me.

Annotation 2019-01-28 105439.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 41 82.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.0%
Back