Apex power bars

Brockly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve never had a controller. And am getting close to want to buy an apex. How many power bars y’all run on your system? I mean with multiple lights pumps etc. it could get crazy. I only have a 75 gallons and I think I have close to 3 power strips full. And many of them have “Y” splitters on so the actual plug count is way up. I know not everything needs controlled but isn’t that the point. Haha

Teach me. How man powebars you run? What’s plugged in, what’s not etc

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an apex with two of the EB832's. I have everything plugged into them. So much nicer having full control. I can shut off what I want when I want without having to crawl vehing the tank and pull the cord from the power strip. Using 12 outlets total.

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can make it as simple or complicated as you want, but that’s the case with or without an Apex. I run three power bars on my system. Lots of items are able to be controlled without being plugged into the EB8 outlet (most LEDs and DC pumps for example).

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have everything plugged into EB8's(thats what their for, aren't they? Maximum control, isn't that why we buy an apex in the first place?). So for my 80G I have 3 EB8's, I'm using all 16 outlets.

2 mp10's
2 pp8's(Only 1 outlet used)
1 gyre
1 cord for the T5's
2 for reefbrite strips
1 return pump
2 heaters
1 skimmer
1 reactor pump
1 ATS pump
1 UV filter
2 ATS lights

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently running five EB8s and one EB4 on an Apex Lite. Also have one of each as spares.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running my tank on one EB832 and one EB8 and a lizard enclosure on a EB4. I have everything plugged in except for Radions.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a eb832 for items I want to make sure are running (the power control feature is great for alerts) a eb8 for things I want to control like my tunze ato, skimmer, etc. I also have a ev4 running my water change station.

I actually run extension cords from my power bar (which is external of my stand to avoid moisture to the sump area) They are mounted to the top of the stand and things like my heaters, skimmer, fuge lights etc are plugged into them so that I can easily unplug things and remove them.

c8fbca0801f539d6101fe4b8dc648ee6.jpg

OP
OP
Brockly

Brockly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what are the typical things you plug into the two 10 amp plugs on the eb8 vs the 6 5 am plugs?

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 16 controlled outlets total with a third constant on bar. Anything I may want to control or shut off is on the control bars, anything that I need to run constantly with no issues of turning off in the regular bar.

Jim Fox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use four on mine. Mine are not so much for control but more for monitoring the norm of how things run so I can spot something going south. I also use them monitor amps so I'm not overloading a circuit. A good example would be that my two 200 watt heaters use 3 (+/-) amps when "On". One day I noticed the heaters were in the "On" mode but they were only consuming 1.5 amps so that told me one of the heaters was no longer working.

JS_racer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use four on mine. Mine are not so much for control but more for monitoring the norm of how things run so I can spot something going south. I also use them monitor amps so I'm not overloading a circuit. A good example would be that my two 200 watt heaters use 3 (+/-) amps when "On". One day I noticed the heaters were in the "On" mode but they were only consuming 1.5 amps so that told me one of the heaters was no longer working.

on the 832 bar or the eb8 ??
might finally retire my backlit serial aquacontroller jr that just keeps chugging along.

JS_racer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Apex Classic so it's the EB8s for me.

and you can see power consumption, or just for the bar ??
if just for the bar, is there a history, and a list of on or off equipement ??

the geek in me kinda likes the new bar power monitoring, bit i haven't looked much into the eb8 features in that aspect.

Jim Fox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see power consumption on each bar. For instance, my light is on a bar and that light consumes 3.9 amps, my LEDs are on another bar and they consume .07 to .09 amps, and my heaters on a different bar and they consume 3+ amps. I do have other stuff plugged into them, i.e., power heads, the LinkA, and accessories.

I can't speak to the newer 832s as I don't have that system.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know not everything needs controlled but isn’t that the point. Haha

Teach me. How man powebars you run? What’s plugged in, what’s not etc

Actually I disagree.. Putting everything on a controller actually means if the controller fails or messes up everything can be out.

Anyway I only use one bar with both my Apex or will be since I am just setting up my second.

I actually use my Apex less and less because most pieces of equipment now come with controllers that are more capable than the Apex.
I am also getting more and more stuff that does not work with my Apex like my dosers.. I am finding more and more reasons not to even use one.

Honestly the new Pump controller from Coralvue looks more promising for me because it allows me to get rid of some cords and power supplies..

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 165 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back