Apex PROBES!!!!!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Osiel Alvarado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I the only noob that didn't realize you had to remove the plastic covers on the tip on the OPR and PH probes before calibration? lol and also does anyone know how to raise the ORP in the tank? thanks .

m0nkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Lol...

One way to raise orp is ozone dosing. But you need to read up on it, health hazard if done wrong.

OP
OP
O

Osiel Alvarado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my ORP is 217. is that like really bad or no? I literally just got it in today.

m0nkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Takes a week or two for it to read properly. When i installed mine, it went from 200 to 500. Now settled back down in 300s range

OP
OP
O

Osiel Alvarado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh thank god. haha. I will literally sleep better tonight because of that. I stress over these numbers a lot lol. It's probably because I'm new at all this.

jonmos75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The orp probe can take anywhere between a week to two weeks to settle in you'll know when it's settled in when pH Rises the orp will drop. The level that you have it 217 is perfectly fine

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also some items you can dose (like Vibrant) can cause your ORP readings to jump before they settle down. Randy has a great article on ORP, what it is, how it works, and what is an expected range. From what I remember, that range is high 200s to low 400s without ozone, and in the 500s with ozone.

Dosing carbon, vodka, etc., can also have an influence on ORP. Most of us that track it only use it as an indicator over time, for example if it is trending down for a few days that could mean something is dead in the tank and using up oxidizers to break it down, or the inverse in that you maybe over-dosed something or something made its way into the tank (like H2O2 if you dip corals in that) that may require some additional maintenance.

djd3mon

Reefing since 2016!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I the only noob that didn't realize you had to remove the plastic covers on the tip on the OPR and PH probes before calibration? lol and also does anyone know how to raise the ORP in the tank? thanks .
I recently bought a ph probe...had to check youtube to see if I was supposed to pull te clear cap off, lol. And find out what the heck the liquid was inside the cap/

OP
OP
O

Osiel Alvarado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also some items you can dose (like Vibrant) can cause your ORP readings to jump before they settle down. Randy has a great article on ORP, what it is, how it works, and what is an expected range. From what I remember, that range is high 200s to low 400s without ozone, and in the 500s with ozone.

Dosing carbon, vodka, etc., can also have an influence on ORP. Most of us that track it only use it as an indicator over time, for example if it is trending down for a few days that could mean something is dead in the tank and using up oxidizers to break it down, or the inverse in that you maybe over-dosed something or something made its way into the tank (like H2O2 if you dip corals in that) that may require some additional maintenance.
thanks . i actually do dose vibrant'

OP
OP
O

Osiel Alvarado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought a ph probe...had to check youtube to see if I was supposed to pull te clear cap off, lol. And find out what the heck the liquid was inside the cap/
lol thats funny. I tried three times to calibrate before realizing it

Rory's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a good article on ORP by Randy Holmes-Farley if you haven't found it already. I too just hooked up an Apex on my new tank that's cycling and the ORP is all over the place so I've been trying to figure out what in means. After reading this, I pay little attention to the ORP, eventually I think it will be useful, but nothing to lose sleep over.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 93 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back