Crystal Dynamics 100G

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks! Hopefully I am not too late for that build contributor flair but my new tank finally arrived! It's a 48x24x20 1/2" starfire tank with a synergy ghost overflow, dual returns, and a Trigger sump. Stand and tank were made by Crystal Dynamic.

Planned equipment list:
Apex Classic from previous tank
2xMP10s from previous tank, likely on the back wall
1xMP40 (new) to go on the side
BLDC8 2100gph DC return
Ice Cap K2-120 (existing skimmer, want to go Life Reef next)
2x GHL Mitras LX7206
GHL Doser 2.1
Advanced Acrylics 15g ATO hooked up to an Osmolator 3155
Went with ReefCleaners base rock and will start playing with reef scapes in the next few days. What are your thoughts, two island or single structure? I'll post some ideas as I go, would appreciate the community's input!

First things first: the tank as it arrived!

IMG_6134.JPG

Back shot of the return plumbing and the overflow. Don't mind the foam and tape pipe supports, working on getting proper pipe supports back there to make it all sturdy.

IMG_6142.JPG

Return lines nearly complete, I accidentally glued the union without the collar on it but fortunately the rest of that piece was not glued in yet so I avoided a more costly mistake! The gate valve on the secondary drain is there only for testing purposes so I can simulate both the main and backup drain failures and ensure the emergency is set right.

IMG_6143.JPG

Starfire glass truly is THAT clear!:)

IMG_6146.JPG

Here is the side electrical panel that gives me a clean space to organize the Apex and the spaghetti mess of modules to go with it;Hilarious.

IMG_6148.JPG

Two Mitras LX7206 fixtures, really excited to try these lights out!

IMG_6144.JPG

Currently mounted way too high and are lower than this now, but I was just trying to get them up there for the photo. Gotta play with the cords on them to get them to lay a bit more flat.

IMG_6149.JPG

More to come!

Last edited:

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! One day I'm going to have a spiffy, clean build like this ;) I keep telling myself that the beauty is on the INSIDE.

Great work so far- following!

OP
OP
Whipples

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ngoodermuth I already had to change the plumbing! My returns were about 2mm too low causing it to bind on the ATO I bought. A few hours later, some choice words, and a bit of luck in buying extra 45s and elbows (highly recommend this, it saved me and can save others) and some advice from @MasterAlgaeGrower I ended up with revised plumbing and I did not have to tear the whole thing apart to do it! Also pictured is the Advanced Acrylics ATO which is 6"x24"x24" and can hold about 15 gallons. Going to have to figure out what to do with the clear sides facing the sump as I don't want the refugium light causing any growth in the ATO.

IMG_6151.JPG
IMG_6152.JPG

OP
OP
Whipples

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update: got the plumbing strapped and supported and the tank is in its final resting place. Wanted to run the current scape by y'all for any feedback. The lights cause a weird effect with the iPhone camera and I haven't figured out how to reduce it. Thanks!

IMG_6155.JPG
IMG_6156.JPG
IMG_6157.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Whipples

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: got it filled up, salted, and working on tuning the beananimal drain. Photo is a shot of the reef under the moonlight mode of the Mitras lights. Don't mind the cables, I'll cut them when I'm happy with the height. @MasterAlgaeGrower thanks for stopping by and helping get it filled up!

IMG_6160.JPG

William Norman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Wipples - Love the build! I also like your choice of adult beverage. I hope you have another bottle to sip on while watching your new tank.

I noticed you have light diffuser on the bottom of your tank. Are you using that to secure your rock ? I am waiting on my rock so I can start building my new 100g.

OP
OP
Whipples

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@William Norman thanks for stopping by! I use that light diffuser to both protect the base of the tank and give the rock something a bit more secure to rest on. It also helps prevent any sand-dwelling creatures from causing havoc to the rockwork! I glued the rocks and ensured it would not move prior to pouring the sand in. It also helps protect the tank if heaven forbid you drop a rock while doing maintenance or having to extract a troublesome fish.

Current sip-list is an Ardbeg Kelpie, highly recommend if you are in to the Islays :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice! Nice floor too!

coweyes298

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice one! I also have a CD tank and almost similar size as yours. 48" x 24" x 20". It was built last year and at that time they don't have much stand choice so I go to local carpenter route for stand. Your build is really clean! Are you using Kessil mounting arm for the Mitras? And any update on the Mitras for coral? I am using Kessil but am thinking of switching to Mitras one day...

OP
OP
Whipples

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice one! I also have a CD tank and almost similar size as yours. 48" x 24" x 20". It was built last year and at that time they don't have much stand choice so I go to local carpenter route for stand. Your build is really clean! Are you using Kessil mounting arm for the Mitras? And any update on the Mitras for coral? I am using Kessil but am thinking of switching to Mitras one day...

I think our tanks are the same! 100g? They really did up their stand game, and they added an electrical panel on the side to help keep the stealth look going. I am nearly done cycling it so I haven't had a chance to put corals under it BUT when I look at the two tanks side-by-side the Mitras fixtures bring a completely new level to it, and given the design with multiple pucks and reflectors it still has good shimmer but more mild to the Kessils (which I am now starting to prefer the more mild shimmer). Shadowing hasn't been an issue so far with my rock structure and I tested it a bit with some fluorescent acrylic I had laying around from some previous computer mods, and programming them was pretty easy with their light composer. Nothing wrong with the kessil lights, just wanted to try something different and two AP700s was going to be more expensive and still have some of the coverage issues.

Good catch on the Kessil arms. I used the Mitras hanging kit to suspend them from the arms and the plug fits through the arm perfectly to get that stealth look. The only challenge I've had is getting the fixtures to lay flat and straight since the power cord is slightly off of center, but a few well placed coins helped balance it out :).

coweyes298

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea. Actually mine is 48*23*21 or 20 starphire but with clear silicon. 99 gallon but with only one return on the right. Same synergy ghost overflow but with Trigger system tideline 36 sump and a 10 gallon ATO from AA. Be careful while you use the mag glass cleaner to clean the glass. I use flipper and had several scratches on the front side QQ

OP
OP
Whipples

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man I'm sorry to hear that! I planned on just using a simple mag-float, the flipper is just too big in my opinion and is too strong. The mag-floats, while not as sleek as the black flippers, don't have the same magnet strength either so I find them more forgiving.

Do you have a log for your tank? Would love to see what you've done with it.

coweyes298

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't really have a log in here.

Below was the first day filling it up which was June somewhere last year.
DSC_0744 (1).JPG

Here is the current shot. I added 2 more Kessil A160 on the very right and left side.
DSC_1515.JPG

All other corals are still in separate coral QT so the current tank has few corals in it now...

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back