OP
OP
Whipples

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are such delicate specimens that unless you are an expert I really don't see the harm in waiting. I think I did too much, too fast, and paid a tall price for it.

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are such delicate specimens that unless you are an expert I really don't see the harm in waiting. I think I did too much, too fast, and paid a tall price for it.

Thats what I need to tell myself, just gotta take it slow.

OP
OP
Whipples

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone! A brief update since it has been some time:

I am officially bubble algae free, and coralline algae has nearly taken over the entire tank. I was mistakenly thinking my Alk was in the 8 range due to a dirty test kit, reality was it was much lower so I am in the process of using KH buffer to bring it slowly back up.

I'm continuing to struggle with Anthias and have 4 more in QT now (3 lyretail females, one carberryi) and am hoping to pick up a few more of each to quarantine this round. My two tangs are tolerating each other, with the occasional chasing in the tank but they leave just about everyone else alone. My copperband is doing well and even holds his own to the yellow tang when he wants to get pushy! I also fixed a gap I did not see in my screen cover that cost me a few clowns since I started this tank and my two recent ones have paired up nicely. I still have small patches of cyano but I'm letting them run their course.

I have a few hammer heads that are hanging on, and now that I realize what my lack of discipline in testing was could have contributed to my tank issues earlier and having unstable alkalinity/poor readings. I have 3 new sticks in the tank using my spiffy new R2R frag rack and a GSP frag. I figure if the GSP dies then it is a sign from the universe I am not meant for corals! :)

FTS:
299A046A-69CA-4C3F-A74A-94EB1C8DAFEB.jpeg

Anthias in QT:
89AD6C1F-610C-4BB2-AA2E-AD0503FFE4D5.jpeg

OP
OP
Whipples

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An overdue update: I lost all the anthias in quarantine, and a few corals to some unknown reason after I posted which caused me to take a break for a bit. Since this photo my previously-thought-dead hammers have sprouted some new heads, some montiporas have started growing although the frag died over a year ago.

I figure some honesty in reefing will help others like me who don’t have this amazing coral-packed tank after spending what feels like a ton of energy and time on it. I have struggled with the idea of adding more to the tank versus letting it ride and I think I’ll be adding some new life this summer now that I few things have started to level out again. I recently found a giant aptasia growing on my probe holder so I’ll have to figure that one out next...

Most of the chaeto died off after I spent 2 months with vibrant battling bubble algae and never recovered. For the most part the rocks are free and clear as is the sand but I’ve got some areas that calcified and I need to add new sand to address it. Thanks for the feature, it honestly brought some much needed motivation back into my spirit to keep the tank going and get it full of life (which, after all, is the whole point of this!). I’ll get some more photos once I clean the glass- I was out of the country for 2.5 weeks for work and it just needs love.

OP
OP
Whipples

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you can see my fat fish! The copperband is about half an inch thick now and I can hand-feed him. He is my favorite fish of the bunch with his endless curiosity and he takes absolutely no attitude from the tangs. The royal gramma is also an absolute unit now but mostly just thinks he’s important.

I’ve had to replace my clowns a few times because of jumpers (had a super narrow gap in the screen between the edge and the tank I didn’t know about) and these two have bonded together nicely. That sole anthia is what is left after trying to get around 11 through QT and into the tank, half died in the tank to some unknown aggressor (I might have missed a protomale, and am now much more cautious and spend more time inspecting fish) or hunger strikes. I picked up a GSP just to prove to myself I didn’t kill everything that went into the tank which is hidden behind the frag rack in the photo. Coralline algae has taken over the tank and then some!

I did two rounds of garf grunge and regularly dose prodibio BioDigest, feed a mixture of roe, mysis, lrs, calanus, and enriched brine shrimp daily (all mixed together with reef roids into a slush). My proudest accomplishment at this time is the copperband who I’ve had now for 2 years and is 1/2” thick from being so well fed. I was lucky and he worked on my second try. I have entertained the idea of culturing pods and phyto but really struggle with free time.

That is it for now, hopefully more during this summer! Thanks again for stopping by.

891F004F-03AD-4D31-8E88-75DE0885155A.jpeg

OP
OP
Whipples

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After several months I think I’ve finally solved my triton precipitation issue by adding two powerheads to the dosing area creating more turbulence and improving dissolution into the tank water. I’ve had what I can only guess is a montipora start growing in a few places, and my hammers are starting to split/grow again.

I recently placed an order with AquaLocker for 4 dispar and 4 ignitus anthias which all arrived alive and are adjusting to my quarantine tank. I’ve never ordered fish online so this is a new experience for me, and enjoying how it is getting my motivation and interest back in my tank after struggling with it for 2 years now. Photos below of the display are using the Polyp Lab filter.

I guess I can always claim my corraline growing skills are excellent
1A3D4C23-449D-4800-9950-459C83E9BD88.jpeg
50270353-3DAC-4945-BE93-A54316236346.jpeg
21EB9E32-937F-4095-B0FC-BE9C68F7010E.jpeg

038819EB-7A26-4C78-BF32-1D33BBDAEDA4.jpeg

OP
OP
Whipples

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have given up on anthias. In the time since my last update I found a great female ornate leopard wrasse and she’s in the tank and doing well. I refreshed the sand and thought I rinsed it enough but still got cyano which is fine. I also purchased a Poseidon Reef Systems phyto and copepod culture kit and am excited to try that out.

C7654CE8-4953-4457-BCBB-D8CFD3BAA008.jpeg
E2FEA80F-6AC7-4F81-A3BE-7DB2A848CD12.jpeg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking great. How are you liking the Crystal Dynamics tank? Looking at getting a 225 from them.

OP
OP
Whipples

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking great. How are you liking the Crystal Dynamics tank? Looking at getting a 225 from them.
They were great to work with and met or exceeded all expectations I had going into it. They also were great at communicating given the lead time and am very happy I went with them! For any of the bigger tanks I highly recommend paying the difference compared to the "all in one" solutions.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back