Apex Programming for UV Sterilizer

Manicosi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am hoping that someone might be able to assist with a program code for my apex that would control my EA 80W UV sterilizer. I want to run the UV sterilizer and dedicated pump from 9 pm to 9 am only and turn off the UV and pump if the temp rises above 80 degrees. I also would like the pump to power on a minute before the UV is turned on as well as stay on a minute after the UV is turned off. Any help that can be provided would be much appreciated. Please feel free to include any other suggestions/opinions for programming a UV. Thanks

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
place these lines in the UV outlet programming

set off
fallback off
if time 21:00 to 09:00 then on
if temp > 80 then off

Place these lines in the pump outlet programming

set off
fallback off
if time 20:59 to 09:01 then on
if temp > 80 then off

Note: i used the word TEMP but you will need to use whatever your temperature probe is called in place of temp (unless you named it temp)

OP
OP
Manicosi

Manicosi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

set off
fallback off
if temp > 80 then off

set off
fallback off
if time 20:59 to 09:01 then on
if temp > 80 then off

Note: i used the word TEMP but you will need to use whatever your temperature probe is called in place of temp (unless you named it temp)
Thanks for your response. I have been thinking about this a little more since my post and I am curious if this coding will severely restrict the amount of time that the UV is allowed to run. For instance, If the tank has a temp of 81 at 21:00, the "off" condition will be triggered for both the UV and the pump until the temp drops to 79.9, it will then be turned on and then off again when the temp increases by only 0.1 back to 80. Am I understanding this correctly?

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that is correct. Everytime the temp reaches 80 whether its before uv/pump coming on or during 9pm to 9am. It will stop the pump and if.
Honestly with that many stops and goes your uv bulbs will burn out and you pump wont last very long either.
My suggestion will be to leave pump running 24/7 and uv from 9pm to 9am without the temp statement or a higher temp number that tank generally wont see. So for example maybe 82.
Personally a small pump and uv will not contribute to heat as you may be imagining.
I have a 72w uv plus a mag 5 in a 40 gal QT plus 20 gal sump with no additional heat running 24 hrs.

OP
OP
Manicosi

Manicosi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I think I will go with your suggestion. So I will need to delete the temp line from both programs and remove the time command from the pump?

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not remove temp command totally but just increase the valve to 82 or 83 in case your tank does run warm. The DEFER statement will make it wait (this case 2 min) before turning on again. Saving you bulbs and pumps from breaking down due to multiple starts and off.

This is what I would do.

set off
fallback off
if temp > 83 then off
Defer 002:00 Then ON

set on
if temp > 83 then off
Defer 002:00 Then ON

Last edited:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back