APEX question: How to shutdown return pump during feeding

Steve1500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed the APEX auto feeder but I am new to the whole APEX programming process. I read Tutorial #7 of the APEX programming, but I still needs some help. How do I program my return pump to show down for 6 minutes when the auto feeder turns on? I would like to pump to shut down 1 min before the feeder feeds and turn back on 5 min later (eg 1159 hrs to 1205) What words/language do I enter and where do I enter it?

Thanks!

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tutorial already explains this (I'm the author), but you just need to adjust the times to your preference:

Virtual Output vFeed:
Set OFF
If Time 11:59 to 12:04 Then ON

AFS Output Configuration:
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Output vFeed = ON Then ON
Defer 001:00 Then ON

Return Pump Configuration:
Fallback ON
Set ON
If Output vFeed = ON Then OFF

The pump will be off the whole 6 minutes (11:59:00 through 12:04:59), and the AFS will run at 12:00 due to the 1 minute delay from the Defer timer.

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short answer yes.

Longer answer is that the DC pump is simply connected to the Apex Energy Bar (EB) and that controls power to it via the programming @SuncrestReef explained. Any device that just needs to be turned on or off can be controlled in this fashion. The Apex head unit (or ‘brain’ as you will see it referred to on the forums) connects to the Neptune cloud hosted Apex Fusion site to allow you to control your Apex via that site.

Neptune has many of their own accessories that allow more fine-grained control via the Apex (e.g. your AFS) and several other brands can be integrated with the Apex more fully (e.g. some Kessil lights) for similar features.

mdromaine55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tutorial already explains this (I'm the author), but you just need to adjust the times to your preference:

Virtual Output vFeed:
Set OFF
If Time 11:59 to 12:04 Then ON

AFS Output Configuration:
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Output vFeed = ON Then ON

Return Pump Configuration:
Fallback ON
Set ON
If Output vFeed = ON Then OFF

The pump will be off the whole 6 minutes (11:59:00 through 12:04:59), and the AFS will run at 12:00 due to the 1 minute delay from the Defer timer.

I have used these settings. QUESTION, does the VO have to be set to AUTO ?? Every time I set it to AUTO all the stuff immediately shuts off. HELP PLEASE.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used these settings. QUESTION, does the VO have to be set to AUTO ?? Every time I set it to AUTO all the stuff immediately shuts off. HELP PLEASE.

Yes, any Apex output (physical or virtual) needs to be set to AUTO in order to run the underlying program. If you set it to ON or OFF, those are manual positions where it will ignore all programming, and it's up to you to manually change output status.

If things are turning off immediately, then there's probably something wrong in the coding. Please post the code from your virtual output, and the code from one of the devices that shuts off at the wrong time.

mdromaine55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the code for each of my devices. Any help would be appreciated....Thank you for your time and advise...

VO code...

Set OFF
If Time 10:00 to 10:08 Then ON
If Time 18:30 to 18:08 Then ON

Rtn Pump..code.. COR15 pump

If Output vFEED = ON Then 4
Defer 002:00

Skimmer code...

Fallback ON
Set ON
If Output vFEED = ON Then OFF

ATO Code...

Fallback ON
Set ON
If Output vFEED = ON Then OFF

Feeder outlet code...

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Output vFEED = ON Then ON

Echotech MP10 wave pump...code

Set OFF
If Output vFEED = ON Then ON
Defer 000:10 Then ON

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Questions and comments on your code:

1. On the COR15 program, is the code you posted from the Advanced tab (which overrides the graphical schedule), or did you bypass the graphical schedule by choosing "Basic View" and programming it directly?

2. On the MP10 program, it appears you only run the MP10 when feeding. Is that correct? Do you have another powerhead that runs throughout the day?

3. You originally said "all the stuff shuts off". But in the code you posted above, the only things that turn off during vFeed is the skimmer and ATO. The COR15 slows to 4%, and the MP10 turns On.

mdromaine55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that explains a few things... Thanks

I am going to start over with all devices. Starting with VO. I want the Skimmer to shut off for 8 mins, ATO to shut off for 8 mins, COR15 to slow to 40% for 8 mins and MP10 to run all the time, except at feeding, then slowed for about 2 minutes.
The COR15 code was from the "Advanced" section. IF THIS IS POSSIBLE...Thanks again for your time..Mike

VO code...

Set OFF

mdromaine55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Questions and comments on your code:

1. On the COR15 program, is the code you posted from the Advanced tab (which overrides the graphical schedule), or did you bypass the graphical schedule by choosing "Basic View" and programming it directly?

2. On the MP10 program, it appears you only run the MP10 when feeding. Is that correct? Do you have another powerhead that runs throughout the day?

3. You originally said "all the stuff shuts off". But in the code you posted above, the only things that turn off during vFeed is the skimmer and ATO. The COR15 slows to 4%, and the MP10 turns On.

Well, that explains a few things... Thanks

I am going to start over with all devices. Starting with VO. I want the Skimmer to shut off for 8 mins, ATO to shut off for 8 mins, COR15 to slow to 40% for 8 mins and MP10 to run all the time, except at feeding, then slowed for about 2 minutes.
The COR15 code was from the "Advanced" section. IF THIS IS POSSIBLE...Thanks again for your time..Mike

VO code...

Set OFF

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 92 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back