Apex salinity massive fluctuations

dakoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New apex user and my salinity probe is driving me insane. I made sure the pouch was the same temp as water when I calibrated and all was fine for a few weeks. Now it randomly shows super low salinity and I get non stop alerts but the salinity is fine. I even moved the probe and same results.
Ideas?

OP
OP
dakoop

dakoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a graph
Screenshot_20161221-154135.png

Dasidius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes mine does the same thing. If you add chemicals or anything to your water it can go nuts. Also I moved my prove lower in the sump and it acted up. Just pull it out and recalibrate it when it does that. Don't chase the numbers. It almost drove me crazy till I just Recalibrated it.

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gave up on mine after awhile. Never read accurately. This goes for the apex probe and another generic non-lab probe. Doesn't seem to make a difference.

Mikevipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to necro this thread but I thought posting what happened to me could potentially help a lot of people having the same issue.

I have had two occurrences of my probe going insane

First time it was being too close to my heater. Probes were about 8 inches away and everytime the heater came on the temperature change in the water would cause my salinity reading to drop between 30 and jump to 36 randomly. Moving the probes to my display tank immediately solved these issues.

Second time happened to me today and it was a little more hectic. I was dang near pulling my hair out trying to figure out if my probe just went bad on me or not. Had the same issues above but since it had already been working in the DT without issues I was puzzled. A friend gave me the idea to test for stray voltage in my DT.... Sure enough I had stray voltage, this must have changed the way the resistance was read or interference or something. I traced the problem to a bad power head. Once removed my probes returned to normal within 5 minutes.

Hope this helps save someone from spending money and time on recalibration fluid and new probes etc.

wmo168

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try placing it on a cup of salt water and see how it reads.... or get one of these as these never fail on you....
31belhtcqsl-jpg.109323

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back