Apex Solenoid program advice

Stormhaven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys .
Can you review this program.
I've two optical sensors directy in the sump the program is for the solenoid from my Ro .
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Bottom OPEN Then ON
If Top CLOSED Then OFF
Defer 000:30 Then ON
If Time 17:00 to 18:00 Then ON
If Flood3 CLOSED Then OFF
If Flood4 CLOSED Then OFF

Last edited:

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please clarify: Do you want the solenoid to keep the water at the level of the bottom sensor and only use the top sensor as a failsafe in case the bottom sensor fails, or do you want the solenoid to start filling when the bottom sensor is dry and continue filling until the upper sensor is wet? This makes a big difference in the programming.

Also, what is the purpose of your If Time 17:00 to 18:00 command? Is that the only time of day you want the solenoid to run? If so, that will ignore your sensor status.

In either case, keep in mind that running your RO/DI system frequently for small amounts of water is inefficient and will increase the TDS. You’re much better off having a large reservoir for RO/DI water that is pumped into the sump as needed for top off.

OP
OP
Stormhaven

Stormhaven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please clarify: Do you want the solenoid to keep the water at the level of the bottom sensor and only use the top sensor as a failsafe in case the bottom sensor fails, or do you want the solenoid to start filling when the bottom sensor is dry and continue filling until the upper sensor is wet? This makes a big difference in the programming.

Also, what is the purpose of your If Time 17:00 to 18:00 command? Is that the only time of day you want the solenoid to run? If so, that will ignore your sensor status.

In either case, keep in mind that running your RO/DI system frequently for small amounts of water is inefficient and will increase the TDS. You’re much better off having a large reservoir for RO/DI water that is pumped into the sump as needed for top off.
Hi and thank you for the reply.
I'd like the solenoid to keep the water level at the bottom sensor and have the Top one for a fail safe backup.
I thought by having a time in which the solenoid would be open would act as a backup incase the optical sensors fail.
Is there a better way in which to do this..
A larger reservoir is not practical space wise at this time .
But hopefully in the future.
Tds is about 5-10 from the faucet.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and thank you for the reply.
I'd like the solenoid to keep the water level at the bottom sensor and have the Top one for a fail safe backup.
I thought by having a time in which the solenoid would be open would act as a backup incase the optical sensors fail.
Is there a better way in which to do this..
A larger reservoir is not practical space wise at this time .
But hopefully in the future.
Tds is about 5-10 from the faucet.
OK, what you’re describing is the exact same concept as the code used by the ATK, except yours will control a solenoid instead of a pump. Read my ATK tutorial for a detailed description of how the programming works:

You didn’t explain your If Time condition. The way you have that written it will turn on the solenoid for one hour every day regardless of the water level. You should definitely remove that line.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back