Apex trident false reading or?

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers,

I am a bit confused and wondering what’s going on with my trident or if this is an issue with alk consumption. The first day my Alk reading was 9.0, 3 days later and it keeps reading really low(6.2-6.7) My Alk has never been this low and I gave away my Hanna checker for Alk so I’ll have to wait to confirm until Friday with LFS. Is there something I’m missing? I’m still dosing 3 part by Red Sea and have been dosing the same amount of Cal-Alk and Mag on a daily schedule.
Mostly just have RBTA’s and LPS.
No changes in the last 4 months and I have been dosing the same products since.

6FFC52DC-9CE7-40AE-BB2B-2DDB768D510C.png

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you calibrated it recently? Might want to do that.
Also, you calcium is very high.
Also also, if you see it dropping, take action to stabilize it instead of letting it continue to fall.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
May be false and agreee on calibration. CA is known to be false at times. Assure line to manifold is not clogged also

OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you calibrated it recently? Might want to do that.
Also, you calcium is very high.
Also also, if you see it dropping, take action to stabilize it instead of letting it continue to fall.
I just installed it a couple days ago. Would I need to calibrate this early? And yes calcium i also throwing me off. Last time I checked with Hanna it was 410. Not sure why the trident keeps giving me false readings.

OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be false and agreee on calibration. CA is known to be false at times. Assure line to manifold is not clogged also
I’ll calibrate this weekend as I won’t be home for the rest of the week I have someone house sitting the fishes for me but found it very odd these numbers just keep jumping so much.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed it a couple days ago. Would I need to calibrate this early? And yes calcium i also throwing me off. Last time I checked with Hanna it was 410. Not sure why the trident keeps giving me false readings.
When you added your reagents, did you use the white bottle of calibration fluid to calibrate it?

OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you added your reagents, did you use the white bottle of calibration fluid to calibrate it?
I did indeed, I did had some trouble on the initial set up as my apex app kept crashing not sure if this threw anything off but will recalibrate again.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did indeed, I did had some trouble on the initial set up as my apex app kept crashing not sure if this threw anything off but will recalibrate again.
Also, make sure you keep testing kits/devices to check against the Trident. I regularly check to make sure everything is within a reasonable range of other test kits. I also send in an ICP about every 2 months.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you just perform a large water change? I see that your ORP took a dive and pH went up which makes me ask. If so that could account for the change in chemistry.

OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, make sure you keep testing kits/devices to check against the Trident. I regularly check to make sure everything is within a reasonable range of other test kits. I also send in an ICP about every 2 months.
Will do thanks so much!

OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you just perform a large water change? I see that your ORP took a dive and pH went up which makes me ask. If so that could account for the change in chemistry.
I actually had just finished dosing phyto and ph/ORP probes are near dosing tubes. Before I set up the trident all my numbers were in the normal range so I’m hoping this is just a re-calibrating issue.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i’d also suggest priming the lines, and make sure the sample line is in an area without any bubbles. The end of the sample line should be about 2-3 inches from the bottom of the sump

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some issues using the neptune calibration fluid. Meaning -- I was never able to get an accurate enough number compared to other test methods.

I ended up using reference standards with titration tests (salifert, aquaforest), testing my tank water (and applying any calibration factors obtained from testing the reference standards), then using the tank water to calibrate with the corrected readings obtained from the test kits.

OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i’d also suggest priming the lines, and make sure the sample line is in an area without any bubbles. The end of the sample line should be about 2-3 inches from the bottom of the sump
Was actually just a re-calibration issue. Had to use the sample it came with but everything is running smoothly now

OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some issues using the neptune calibration fluid. Meaning -- I was never able to get an accurate enough number compared to other test methods.

I ended up using reference standards with titration tests (salifert, aquaforest), testing my tank water (and applying any calibration factors obtained from testing the reference standards), then using the tank water to calibrate with the corrected readings obtained from the test kits.
I don’t understand why they make you calibrate the trident right out the box for you to just have to re-calibrate it when you start using it anyways. All fixed though, compared test results to Hanna

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t understand why they make you calibrate the trident right out the box for you to just have to re-calibrate it when you start using it anyways. All fixed though, compared test results to Hanna
when i bought mine they said cali it right off they said wait a few days or so. it was still pretty spot on

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back