APEX users Please Read!

Reef Box

Shoulder Deep in Saltwater.......Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that you're here I need your help!

Currently using RKL as a controller and have been for 10 + years but SERIOUSLY considering switching over to APEX for it's extended monitoring and remote controllability if I'm away when something goes wrong (not to mention customer service since ReefKeeper hasn't updated in years and still isn't available for MAC users) I've been looking around and now I'm pretty lost on all the different versions and accessories available. I just don't know which one is the right one for me... I feel like I need more than basic but I don't know if I need to be able to control a spaceship landing. My setup is slightly different than average in that I have a Main DT located in the house with Sump, Equipment and Fuge in the garage about 10-15 feet on the other side of that wall.

I'm Not computer illiterate but I am absolutely not a programmer either! I have the basic stuff on my tank:

3 return pumps (2 to the DT 1 to the remote Fuge)
AI Hybrid t5 setup (2 separate plugs) with Ecotech Radion XR30 (another plug)
A couple Tunze powerheads
Skimmer
ALK and CA dosers
Chiller
Extra fan set to come on before the Chiller
Heater
Tunze ATO
Ecotech XR15 Fuge light

Plans to hopefully set up flow monitoring and who knows what else down the road.

So here is my concerns. Can I have one set of controllable outlets in the stand under my DT for those items and another set in the garage for that stuff? Currently I just bought long BUS cables for the RKL so I can have the Headunit located in the house and control the stuff in the garage from there rather than having to be in the garage to adjust equipment. If so what version do I need and what accessories will I need in addition? I've seen what I believe are really good deals on used one's but have been hesitant to purchase only because I don't know what I'm looking for.

HELP ME!!!
and Thanks!:D

LoneStarReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you, I would keep your Apex unit and energy bar near the sump because the majority of your equipment that will be plugged in to your Apex will be in the sump. The only equipment in the main display will be lights and powerheads. I believe the AI’s can be controlled through the AWM module. Just make sure you get a longer USB cable that can plug in from the AWM module to your Apex unit. I believe you can buy one that is 15 feet long. And I think you can control your Radion with the WXM module. Same as above for the USB cable. For the power cords, I believe you can plug them all in one extension cord that can reach the Apex power bar (if they all need to be tuned on/off at same time). However make sure that the extension cord is rated to handle the wattage of all 3 of your lights (disclaimer: you might want to ask an electrician friend if this will work). Don’t want to overload the cord and start a fire. Not sure how to control your Tuze pumps with Apex and if there is a cable available that can reach the power bar. You will have to ask others that can help. Hope this helps!

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just moved all my dosing pumps , ato and my AWC system under a different stand about 8' from my nano reef. I added a eb4 (their 4 outlet power bar) under that stand and connected it with a USB bus cable. I was then able to plug a fmm into the eb4 for optical sensors and leak detection and plugged my dosing pumps into the eb4 (I actually need to upgrade it to a eb8 as I have more than 4 pumps I want to control.

I just ran 1/4" hoses from the other stand to my nano reefs sump and all my dosing, top offs and water change control is nicely out of the way instead of on the floor next to nano

OP
OP
Reef Box

Reef Box

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great information. Thank you. The question still remains, which package is right for me? APEX Orange label? Jr? Classic? With or without Lab Probe? I really just don't know...

LoneStarReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great information. Thank you. The question still remains, which package is right for me? APEX Orange label? Jr? Classic? With or without Lab Probe? I really just don't know...

Depends on what you need and what you want to automate. Hard question to answer for someone else. Maybe tell us what you want to do (or hope to do) first?

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently made the same switch... RKL to Apex Classic. The JR isn't quite enough for what I was wanting... I'd say the same is true for you. Classic and 2016 models come with the same equipment, excepting that the new EB832 records amperage for each outlet, and the old EB8 doesn't, and the new 2016 model has built in wireless. You can also add in that the new Neptune Calc/Alk monitoring/dosing system will not work with the Classic. If none of those is important to you, you can save $250 by going with the classic... That's what I did. Sounds like you're going to need an additional energy bar... there again, the old EB8 will save you another hundred over the new EB832.

Might consider putting one EB8 at the sump, and one at the tank, so you can control lights, wave pumps, etc at the tank, and other equipment at the sump. It's just a USB cable.

OP
OP
Reef Box

Reef Box

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what you need and what you want to automate. Hard question to answer for someone else. Maybe tell us what you want to do (or hope to do) first?

Mentioned most of what I have and what I want to do in the OP. Pretty much want to control the same equipment with the ability to monitor and control remotely.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get the NET for the RKL. If you have the latest firmware it does not count toward the module limit. The NET is accessed via it's web pages. It will give you control of outputs, but not timers or alarms. It will also graph up to 16 inputs or outputs. If you need more than 4 modules then you will need something else.

crs751

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see Neptune now has just the 2016 Head Unit for sale as a stand alone unit. That cuts the price a bit and gives you the ability to monitor temp, salinity and pH without adding additional modules. It also is backward compatible with all of the other Apex modules.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see Neptune now has just the 2016 Head Unit for sale as a stand alone unit. That cuts the price a bit and gives you the ability to monitor temp, salinity and pH without adding additional modules. It also is backward compatible with all of the other Apex modules.

The old power bars work as well with it. I like the new eb832 as it has a bunch of additional ports and the power monitoring but the old power bars work just fine. I have a eb4 attached to mine to control my brs dosers since all the relays on the eb4 are mechanical vs only 2 on the eb8 and eb832

jml1149

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Original post:

Now that you're here I need your help!

I'm Not computer illiterate but I am absolutely not a programmer either! I have the basic stuff on my tank:

3 return pumps (2 to the DT 1 to the remote Fuge) - One EB8 in the garage ought to do it
AI Hybrid t5 setup (2 separate plugs) with Ecotech Radion XR30 (another plug) One EB8 under the stand for the plugs, WXM module for the Radion
A couple Tunze powerheads - Controllable or not?
Skimmer - Plugged into one of the EB8's
ALK and CA dosers - If you use an EB832, all outlets will work. Otherwise will require use of plugs 4 and 8 on an EB8. This is not a big deal at all.
Chiller - Plug into nearest EB8
Extra fan set to come on before the Chiller - Same
Heater - Plug into nearest EB8.
Tunze ATO - Ugh. Get the ATK :) The Tunze just requires wall power I believe, correct? You can get fancy if you want though, and tie it back to the Apex, but its a bit of work. I honestly prefer the ATK.
Ecotech XR15 Fuge light - Ties to same WXM module, or nearest plug if just ON/OFF

So overall, you would need:

1. Apex Brain - Either Classic or WiFi model. The classic is great, but if you can swing it, might as well get the latest.
2. EB8 or EB832 x 2 - If you get the WiFi model package, it comes with an EB832. Then you can add another EB832 or an older style EB8. I see used EB8's popping up for resale all of the time. One under your tank and one by the garage sump.
3. WXM module - Control your Ecotech lights. Unless you just use ON/OFF, in which case you can plug into the nearest EB832/8
4. A long USB cable to run to your sump.
5. If the Tunze pumps are controllable, the Classic and WiFi models come with 4, 0-10VDC outputs. Just need the adapter cables. If you're using the native controllers, you don't need this.
6. ATK. Just kidding :)

This will get you just shy of a spaceship landing. For that you would need the RFM and associated kit.

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would skip the Jr Apex. I have one on my tank however I have out grown it. I would get the latest model. I plan to get the latest model in the future. As for my Jr I plan on using it in my reptile building to monitor the air temperature and use the alarm feature to alert me to temp changes in the building. I know it’s not the wet scale usage we are talking about but that’s my plan. So go with the latest model,I wish I had.

ronaldolopes.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm new to Apex and would like to know what RFM and associated kit would be. quoted in the above message? and also if you can help me with some topic or article regarding the programming of apex as well as knowing the functions of the same thank.

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought. I recently upgraded to Apex from the RKL because the heater control went crazy. I'm probably going to keep the RKL for non-critical things like controlling my fuge light and circulation pumps.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 40.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back