Apex vS GHL profilux ???

lsingh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can somebody tell me difference between both of these and more about ghl controllers ...thinking about buying one for my new setup ...I hve used apex for about a year and half thinking about investing into ghl controller for my new setup ...can u controller ghl controller also via ip from outside ur home make changes and stuff and if so do they hve support also where they can walk u through during installation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vbsaltydog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your questions are best asked in the GHL forum at RC. They are known to have excellent support so I think you will find them helpful. In my opinion, I would use the Profilux over the Apex. As for internet access, I know they support expansion cards and LAN is one of the cards they offer.

Fieroguy19

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I would stick with Apex if I were you. The GHL controllers are nice but a pain to setup internet and also updating. Getting help is also a lot harder than Apex since their first language is German and sometimes things get lost in translation when trying to get help.

Connecting the Apex to the network is easy compared to GHL and the Apex apps and dashboard are awesome compared to anything GHL has.

gqjeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 GHL controllers. To me they have no competition. Go the the GHL forum on RC or System

vbsaltydog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a fan of the Windows software for the Profilux, but thats just because I dont own a windows computer and have no plans to own one, its nothing against GHL directly. I am also not a huge fan of LCD based menu systems simply because they are inefficient. If the Profilux has/had a decent web/phone app interface, that would put them in a whole new category for me.

Having said that, I would still go for the Profilux over the Apex based on the quality of the hardware alone.

BigAl07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running ProfiLux for a few years now. I've had the pleasure (said with tongue in cheek) of owning several brands of controllers and at least for me and my needs nothing matches the ProfiLux. I admit I have not owned the Apex so I can't speak first hand for that exact controller but I owned AC Jr and an old ACII for a good while. I do believe the Apex is much more user friendly and advanced that both of the ones I owned.

I would like to address a few of the points noted above:

Internet Setup - It's straight forward... connect it to your network (if WiFi you'll want to install a bridge), make sure your router is configured for port forwarding, then either connect using the built-in webserver (P3, P3.1N and higher) or you can use the NEW GHL Android Ap (released yesterday). It's really nothing so long as your home network is configured correctly and that's the same for ANY controller on the market. I have written a small turorial on setting one up wireless should anyone need it just shoot me a PM and I'll send it to you.

GHL Support - There is a TON of dedicated support in "English" through local forums as well as through the international forum. Also each and every GHL dealer is qualified (or should be) to handle most of your daily requests for support and there is a great amount of support right at your fingertips 24/7 on the forums.

Dashboard - I will admit that the new APEX Dashboard is pretty sweet. I hope that GHL follows suit with something like that soon. They had something similar 2 years ago but it never made it out of BETA testing because of technical issues. Hopefully soon.

Ap - As stated above the Android Ap went live just yesterday and they are now working on creating an iOS ap as well. I can tell you from first hand experience the Android ap is AWESOME and it does everything I need/want an Ap to do. I can't do any "hard" changes to my system from the ap (change critical values etc) because of safety features but I can do just about anything else from my phone and my tablet. It's been a long time coming but I am a very happy GHL customer in this regard.

If I had to go with another controller it would probably be the APEX but that's only if I HAD to :) For me the ProfiLux does everything I have ever wanted and so much more. It's not the perfect controller for everyone but there is no such controller on the market.

Salty Dog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was really ready to pull the trigger on the full Apex system for my future 500g display that Im building now. But after reading about the Proflux unit Im pretty convinced this is what I would want. The only thing I don't like about either is controlling equipment thew there energy bars. My wet room is completely over built with a dedicated 60 amp sub panel and separate switched off circuits for each piece of equipment for service. I would never plug my lights or big Reeflo Hamerheads in to it. I had a lot of issues with my old reef keeper and the energy bar burning out, melting act

Salty Dog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no, Im just saying I will use the controller as a advanced monitor, ph,temp, alk, act. I will never build another reef tank with out always being in touch with my tank.

vbsaltydog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant speak for the ReefKeeper but your power bars should not be melting unless you are overloading the circuits? Im not sure if RK power bars have fuses/breakers/gfi or not. Might be worth looking into to avoid future meltdowns.

Controllers cannot monitor alk accurately so you are only getting temp, pH for parameter monitoring. I assume you just want web access to these parameters as well as the alarm (audible, email, etc.) features.

Are you planning to control 0-10v devices such as LEDs or Tunze pumps?

Salty Dog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
closed loop so no sir, I would use the auto top off if its better than Spectra Pure's unit. No I used my old power bar for my halide lighting and it was just to much, heater the strip real hot. But I would use it to control my co2 on my calcium reactor as well as my Kalk unit

vbsaltydog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Controllers use i/o pins to read gate voltages as provided by mechanical switches (doorbell, float, etc) in order to run ATO pumps. This is likely the same in the Spectrapure ATO so there is no real reason for you to change your ATO unless perhaps going to an optical unit like the Tunze Osmolator.

A power bar should be able to handle whatever load the relay is rated at without heat issues since the high AC current flows through the relay only (as long as the relays are properly isolated). How many watts were your halide ballasts?

If you dont need 0-10v and you only want to remotely monitor your temp, pH and control your low power devices then you dont need the Apex Full or the Profilux. I would suggest the Apex lite or the Reef Angel. I have an Apex lite that I would be happy to sell you if you go that route.

Last edited:

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can somebody tell me the difference between both of these and more about ghl controllers ...thinking about buying one for my new setup ...I hve used apex for about a year and half thinking about investing into ghl controller for my new setup ...can u controller ghl controller also via ip from outside ur home make changes and stuff and if so do they hve support also where they can walk u through during installation
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was an All out Apex gear junky for a year straight! I owned a 2016 Apex Classic and I actually loved it and it was my very first controller ever bought in the 25 + yrs in the hobby. Anyhow, I had two DOS pumps for AWC's and just about every module you could buy. Anyhow, Neptune is coming out with the #Trident ok which it will be able to test your Alk, Cal, and MAG throughout the day but they decided to pull an APPLE stunt and lost a VERY GOOD CUSTOMER!!!!!!!!

So In order to run the trident, you must have the 2016 wifi package for it to work. That means I would have had to upgrade to the latest Apex Neptune model since having the Neptune Trident would be invaluable pcs of gear to own that's for sure but o well!

A friend of mine has all GHL gear and to be HONEST, he loves it but my buddy has never had owned an Apex so, it's hard for my pal to judge if he has not dealt with Apex like I have, unfortunately. Long story, short, I decided it was time to go in a new direction with all of my electronics for my new SC-150 build. So I started doing a lot and a lot of research on YouTube tutorials and read up on their products. Even know they their parts are much less available in the States THAN Apex but you can just go to GHL USA ONLINE STORE and grab anything you want.

I did a few test's to actually find out for my self how good was GHL customer service. wow, was i super impressed from GHL customer service team compared Apex Customer service is next to none and it would be like like comparing Apples to Oranges or night/day. MOST OF there customer service reps are pretty not the friendly over @ Apex but there is always a bad apple at every company! I know they probably don't make a lot of money but if you're in customer service my opinion ya,. have to have an upbeat vide going where I don't feel the that with Neptune. Let's quickly get into the Forums for each controller. Ghl, I post a question and got an answer within 10 minutes not to mention their mediators on the GHL forum are next to none compared to the mediators that run the Apex Forum! God forbid a question or if you post something in the wrong section, it's like they the end of the world for specific individual no manes mentioned. If you do a post on ACCIDENT in an area where it should not be god forbid it's like the end of the world. I am sure you know who I am who I am referring to - NO NAMES MENTIONED but all you apex guys should know who I am referring to over in Cali! Super rude and a total well you know what. @lsingh go with GHL DUDE, you will not be disappointed (TRUST ME)! they are truly FLAGSHIP of aquarium controllers. I HAVE used both of the controllers and I will never buy anything but GHL products moving forward when it comes to electronics and dosing pumps.

Feel free to follow my thread of my 150 build where I am updating as I am getting all of my gear first and then comes the fun part / hard plumbing my tank and building a Manifold.

IMG_6186.JPG

GHL TOUSH SCREEN.JPG

PRO4#1.JPG

daelie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no competition between the two quality wise. Anyone that tells you that apex is superior is just flat out lying to you and themselves.

The ghl quality is far and above the apex. The added bonus is that it doesn’t look like it was bought at toys r us. You don’t constantly hear stories about a ghl just bricking overnight and crashing the system either, which seems far too common these days with apex. But people defend them and say the customer support is fantastic after it bricks completely and they ship you a new one lol. That’s great and all but now I have a dead tank thanks to your dead controller. The release of the newest apex says enough about the quality they put out.

Go check out elder’s thread since he’s taken both of them apart and comments just how far apart they really are from the inside out.

Go GHL and you won’t have to worry.

.... used to own an apex. Sad days.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to disagree with you. I think your statements about the APEX is a very bad bias.
I won’t talk about the GFL because I never owned one but there are just as many bad things commented about the GFL as is the APEX.
I have had my APEX classic for three years now. Other than the PAR module and the feeder I have it all
With two vortechs pumps and a Radion light also hooked into
In those three years I have had two issues. One was the display went out. Support told me to upgrade the firmware I did and it was fixed.
The second was on my ATK and that was my issue and notbthe APEX as it kept on filling the tank
After it was supposedly at the level it should have been.
Neptune login into the system and looked at the code. All they did was rearrange the lines
It was until a week later that someone told me to check the levels of my atp reservoir versus where it empty’s into my sump
Seems it was siphoning the water. Once I measured the reservoir height I realized I was filling it up too much.
Once I did that it was solved. Maybe I’m super lucky maybe I take care of my equipment I don’t know but I’m happy with it.

I’m sorry that you supposedly had a bad experience but you don’t say what they were you just bash the product
Bought from Toy’s R Us. NOT funny
Please do tell us your issues and tell us why you like the GHL so much.

By the way when I have to take the box apart to add modules to me that is wrong. What if I forget and leave power on. What happens or I short something out? To me that’s not good idea.
I would rather add a module

Thank you

daelie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have less bias since I’ve had both. It’s you with the bias since you’ve never touched the other but still somehow claim superiority lol.

My issue was the brain simply bricking itself overnight and you can feel free to do a google search and see that it’s more common than you think.

There have been a whole slew of reported issues with the atk as well.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure there has absolutely but hasn’t there been numerous issues with GHL as well.
It’s all one person opinion. As I stated I didn’t care to have to open a product up and add boards tonit. To me that’s a detriment. ( I am a hardware computer consultant) so I know what it’s like messing with electronics
But again you say you have had the APEX but you claim other people had problems (yes I know about the ATK been solid for me after I fixed my issues )( which I wonder how many issues with the APEX and GHL are caused by the owner)
So you say it bricked all by itself, hmm the classic can’t brick by itself you have to download and install the software. Now maybe your talking about the 2016 version which I do not have and I can’t talk about

But please tells us about your issues with both

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back