Apex vs Individually Controlled Equipment

TateLitts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
College student here, going to grad school after graduation - lots of breaks here and there. I’ve been able to get by on my NUVO 10 with a AutoAqua Smart ATO lite, AI Prime 16HD, and a Hygger mini wave maker - these are all automated.

With my tank beginning to use larger amounts of Ca and Alk, I’m looking into dosing pumps. Apex with DOS is an option, especially considering the fact that I stress constantly when I leave that something goes wrong. Or maybe the Apex with a BRS 2 part pump.

I could certainly get an Inkbird temp controller, a solid dosing pump, and call it a day…. But the fact that I can see what’s going on in my tank is incredibly tempting - I’d only really be using it for monitoring or maybe automating water changes. Is it worth it?

The fact that my roommates and I are beginning a series of plasma donations that just so happens to equate to the Apex el + DOS is really tempting, but I don’t want to waste money if other options are more reasonable.

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, on a 10-gallon I wouldn't spend the money on that kind of gear unless you're planning to upgrade to a much larger system. An Inkbird isn't a huge investment, but you really need two heaters to get the most out of it. A small dosing pump is really all you need to replenish alkalinity and calcium.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 21 84.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 8.0%
Back