Apex Wave Pump System

Jkellar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

First post here, the short backstory is that it turns out my son loves fish and aquariums and anything related. So I decided to take the plunge into a saltwater tank after only ever having freshwater and that was years ago. I followed some advice and have a reefer 350 on the way. In preparation I have started purchasing equipment. This is where I have ran into my first question and I can't seem to figure out if I am missing something.

I ordered an Apex Wav and after receiving it realized that I don't actually have everything I need. Then realized that I am actually better off ordering the starter kit with two so that I receive the Link module. But then started trying to understand what an Apex Lite is. Turns out that doesn't exist anymore and it is now the ApexEL which is a controller. This controller is $559. Don't get me wrong I am already in this for plenty of money but I find it hard to believe out of the gate I need to spend almost $600 on a very fancy wifi plug. I know that is an exaggeration so don't shoot me.

I guess my question is, am I going down the wrong path with my wave maker choice. Is there a wave maker that I can control with bluetooth or over wifi for a much lower entry cost. I did not get anything else from Neptune systems so I'm not really in their ecosystem for my return pump, lights, etc.

Thanks for reading and thanks for all the info that I have found already when trying to figure this all out.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello,

First post here, the short backstory is that it turns out my son loves fish and aquariums and anything related. So I decided to take the plunge into a saltwater tank after only ever having freshwater and that was years ago. I followed some advice and have a reefer 350 on the way. In preparation I have started purchasing equipment. This is where I have ran into my first question and I can't seem to figure out if I am missing something.

I ordered an Apex Wav and after receiving it realized that I don't actually have everything I need. Then realized that I am actually better off ordering the starter kit with two so that I receive the Link module. But then started trying to understand what an Apex Lite is. Turns out that doesn't exist anymore and it is now the ApexEL which is a controller. This controller is $559. Don't get me wrong I am already in this for plenty of money but I find it hard to believe out of the gate I need to spend almost $600 on a very fancy wifi plug. I know that is an exaggeration so don't shoot me.

I guess my question is, am I going down the wrong path with my wave maker choice. Is there a wave maker that I can control with bluetooth or over wifi for a much lower entry cost. I did not get anything else from Neptune systems so I'm not really in their ecosystem for my return pump, lights, etc.

Thanks for reading and thanks for all the info that I have found already when trying to figure this all out.
Nero 3 or 5 may be a good alternative

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In reading it looks like these have a habit of killing fish, is that anyone else's experience?
most pumps come with an optional cover (not sure if nero supplies them) but ime anemones are the bigger concern with pumps. Healthy fish should not be affected.

OP
OP
J

Jkellar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the AI is out of stock from the site I ordered from and since I need to return the pump I ordered I had to go with a different option. After talking with their customer service I landed on the MP40 Vortex. Wifi enabled and positive reviews. Thanks everyone for confirming that I did not need to go down the controller route at this point.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 55 30.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 47 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 20.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back