Apex

Rc1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So why would anybody want to buy a used Apex? They sell them on here for 700 when they are 799 brand new. Or for example, the classic I saw someone selling for 550 including the salinity probe. For 100 more you get brand new probes. So is it worth buying used in your opinion ?

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not that buying used is a problem... it's that people are paying too much for used.

I won't pay more than 70% for used gear... I'm happier around 50%, and yes, when I sell used gear, I charge no more than what I would want to pay.

OP
OP
Rc1989

Rc1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not that buying used is a problem... it's that people are paying too much for used.

I won't pay more than 70% for used gear... I'm happier around 50%, and yes, when I sell used gear, I charge no more than what I would want to pay.

I agree, I have no problem with buying used. For the price people are paying though, I might as well go new. With electronics that’s my rule as thumb as well. Optimally I will go for 50% tops 65-70 depending on how new and my want of it

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something like an Aquarium controller that becomes a vital component of your aquarium system, I would not chance buying used. I want a full warranty first of all, and also want it working right out of the box. You never know truly what the previous owner put the gear through. The product could be damaged... Who knows.. Certain things I will buy used. I just got a nice Reef Octopus 300SSS Skimmer, and saved 300 bucks of the price. It was in great shape, cleaned it, and it almost as good as new.... I own 6 Vortech pumps. 5 are new one was used from this site... MP40QDW I bought used was mint... Works perfectly, and had a Manufacture date of this year....

Buyer Beware.

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So why would anybody want to buy a used Apex? They sell them on here for 700 when they are 799 brand new. Or for example, the classic I saw someone selling for 550 including the salinity probe. For 100 more you get brand new probes. So is it worth buying used in your opinion ?
I bought an opened box, never used, APEX 2016 for 550. It was well wort the investment and the security tape was never broken.

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took about 3 weeks of looking to find. Just keep looking.

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought an apex gold locally for just under $300 and a junior for $100 both had tons of extra modules/probes. $700 for a used 2016 seems steep. I’ve seen them go for $500ish on this forum. I would love to buy a new apex with a warranty but buying a used apex is the route I have to go. On both I did a factory reset, set it up, calibrated probes, did a “dry run”, watched trends during the test so I knew the relays were reliable and the probes were accurate and there’s not much left to fail on a controller is there? I mean unless a module or the brain has water damage or a short or something but I would think that would reveal itself in the test run. I put them both under the cabinet where they were going to stay during normal operation to get as close to actual usage as I could (keeping temp and humidity in mind specifically) and ran a heater with the probes in a 10 gal tank off to the side. After running for almost a month with no issues that I could see I felt comfortable that there were no pre existing issues. A month was probably overkill. Probably could have gotten the same results in a week...

Aaronhome27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked a classic up on ebay for $230 shipped from Canada. It is new sealed in plastic with the newer grey display. Oddly enough I'm not impressed. I feel like I've stepped back 20 years in time. Heck I can't even get the update to go through. It can't find the IP. May have a new only powered on for 2 hours Apex up for sale soon. Just not impressed even though I got a smoking deal. I picked up a wireless gaming controller used for $10 off ebay off of recommendations on here. I tested the gaming controller out and it does work great. Was a 2 minute setup. Have the Apex wired for now though till I get the update figured out. I'll probably have to call neptune tomorrow but I had high hopes for automating and not very impressed right out the gate.

20181010_111050.jpg

20181010_111038.jpg

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That one doesn't work with wifi, it needs a wired connection

Aaronhome27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right I have it wired till I get it updated. I have a wireless gaming router to use once it's updated.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 145 61.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.0%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 64 27.0%
Back