ApexEL Installation Help

SaundersDVM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I recently bought an ApexEL (my first ever controller!) and am in the process of installing it. I am following the directions on the app. I plugged the USB cable into the ApexEL and the energy bar, and plugged the energy bar into an outlet. From what I have read, the ApexEL status light is supposed to go from orange, to green, to purple, to orange, then finally to blue, and the energy bar light is supposed to go from flashing orange to solid orange. However, my energy bar light has continued to stay flashing orange and the ApexEL went from orange to green, and stayed there. I have tried pushing and holding the reset button (the light continues to stay green with no change), I have tried to unplug the energy bar from the wall and replugging it in, I have tried plugging the USB cable into different USB ports located on both the ApexEL and the energy bar, and I have tried just leaving it alone. I have left it alone, plugged in for the past 30 minutes. The energy bar is still flashing orange and the ApexEL is still solid green. Any thoughts on what I may be doing incorrectly, or how I may fix this issue?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen a few others post about a solid green status light, and in each case they had to contact Neptune Support for a solution, but I have not seen anyone explain what that solution was.

It sounds like you've done all the things I would have done. Any chance you have a different AquaBus cable to try, in case the cable itself is faulty? Also, is this a brand new Apex, or did you buy it used? If used, carefully inspect every AquaBus port and cable ends for any corrosion.

Lastly, how long did you try pressing the reset button? If you hold it for over 30 seconds, the light will turn red and it will reset the Apex to factory defaults. I'd give that a try.

OP
OP
S

SaundersDVM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the quick response! I feel very dumb. Apparently the ApexEL simply needed 40 minutes of being left alone to work! About 10 minutes after I posted this, I heard a click and the light changed to purple, orange, blue, then red. I didn't think red was a great sign, but I was able to connect the ApexEL to my phone, so I guess that is good! Currently looking into some of the BRS videos to figure out what to do next. Thanks again!

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the quick response! I feel very dumb. Apparently the ApexEL simply needed 40 minutes of being left alone to work! About 10 minutes after I posted this, I heard a click and the light changed to purple, orange, blue, then red. I didn't think red was a great sign, but I was able to connect the ApexEL to my phone, so I guess that is good! Currently looking into some of the BRS videos to figure out what to do next. Thanks again!
Glad you worked it out!

Once you get the basics set up and want to start doing some custom programming, be sure to see my series of Apex tutorials here on R2R:

OP
OP
S

SaundersDVM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the advice! I have a more basic question. Now that I have the Apex running, linked to Fusion (the app on my phone), the temp and pH probes running, and all of my equipment connected to the energy bar and running on custom (but very basic, some of them simply set to "Always On") programs, I am curious about the ApexEL status light. It is still red. Everything is running and I have handled all of the alerts now by calibrating the pH probe. I tried pressing the reset button quickly, and pressing it for 6 seconds (I did not do a 30 second press because I did not want to undo all I had already done in the app). I also unplugged the ApexEL from the energy bar and plugged it back in. Despite all of these steps, the light is still red and I am having trouble finding a reason why with my google search. Is it supposed to be red? I just assumed it should be green if all is running well.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 55.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 25 29.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.5%

Back