API any good?

imnewplshelp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there have been several threads on this but none give me a very clear answer. I'm a freshwater guy and don't plan on doing any more saltwater than my IM 15 cube. I'd like to have softies, a few fish, and maybe later on some easy hard corals. The tank has been cycling for a few months and I do not have saltwater tests. I'm wondering if the API saltwater or reef test kit is good enough for it. People say they're okay at first but later on buy something else and I don't want to do that, I'd rather immediately buy what I need, but if all I need for a simple setup like this is an API kit then I'd prefer that because the Salifert tests are way more expensive. Thanks

Also knowing which tests I actually need would help.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API is fine except for phosphate since it doesn't read low enough, and low ranges of nitrate. It isn't very precise for alk and so it isn't a good idea to rely on api for alk.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API works great for a new setup in my experience, it's cheap and you will test alot, more than necessary in an empty (no life/crabs snails) aquarium.
it works well.
Once you look into adding life, I would strongly suggest more accurate test kits

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you follow all the directions to the tee it comes down to how precise you can be and how well you can differentiate between the slight color shades. When I was in this hobby deeply 12/13years ago all I used for the majority of the time was api and it was fine. I grew tons of corals, bred clown fish and had 3 very nice reef tanks and a cool display refugium. Think of it like this if you are not concerned about the numbers being an exact 100% gaurentee it will be fine. The tests will let you know how far off you are from the round about number that makes you happy or to let you know something is wrong.

Jim Gomoll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started with API kits myself until I started dosing for a more stable system. API kits fell short on accuracy.
Now using these three brands, but there are others.
Salifert - Alkalinity, Calcium, Magnesium, PH (until I got a 2 in 1 Temp/PH monitor)
Hanna - Phosphate Ultra Low
NYOS - Nitrate

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back