API pond PH down

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Want to use some instant ocean for water change that I have. Been using Red Sea blue, alk in my tank is 8.0.

Believe instant ocean is in the 10-11 range. I am at petsmart and they have pond ph down, says it contains 40 percent sulfuric acid. Can I use this to lower the alkalinity in my 44 gallon water change ? The tank itself is 150, so about a 30 percent water change

OP
OP
W

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably wouldn't use that product, no. Is there a reason you're switching from Red Sea salt?
Costs. I had 2 buckets of instant ocean delivered to my house unknowingly from an order a year ago. (Auto program) I had them , figured I can try using them.

I mixed the remain Red Sea I had which got me to 13 ppt, then used instant ocean to get me to 35 ppt. Let it mix an hour and checked alk, read 11 on the salifert. Way off from my 8 in the tank, so I only did a 20 gallon water change , roughly 15 percent so the rise would only be a couple points .

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sulfuric acid (assuming it's not heavily contaminated with something else) is fine for lowerign alk. So is sodium bisulfate and muriatic acid.

OP
OP
W

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sulfuric acid (assuming it's not heavily contaminated with something else) is fine for lowerign alk. So is sodium bisulfate and muriatic acid.

Fair enough. Says 40 percent sulfuric acid. I know measuring effect is absolute right way, but any idea how many mls per gallon of this to lower alk by 1 dkh?

Maldonado, safe to assume, that if it’s said to be safe in ponds for fish and plants, it likely is fine for our tanks inhabitants ?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough. Says 40 percent sulfuric acid. I know measuring effect is absolute right way, but any idea how many mls per gallon of this to lower alk by 1 dkh?

Maldonado, safe to assume, that if it’s said to be safe in ponds for fish and plants, it likely is fine for our tanks inhabitants ?

It is not safe to assume a freshwater product is safe for reefs, but it might be.

40% sulfuric acid is about 15 N or 15,000 meq/L acidity or about -42,000 dKH.

Thus, if you add 1/42,000th of the water volume, you will drop alk by 1 dKH.

1 gallon is 3785 mL.

Thus, adding 3785 mL/42000 mL/dKH = 0.09 mL will drop alk by 1 dKH

OP
OP
W

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not safe to assume a freshwater product is safe for reefs, but it might be.

40% sulfuric acid is about 15 N or 15,000 meq/L acidity or about -42,000 dKH.

Thus, if you add 1/42,000th of the water volume, you will drop alk by 1 dKH.

1 gallon is 3785 mL.

Thus, adding 3785 mL/42000 mL/dKH = 0.09 mL will drop alk by 1 dKH
Ok, so roughly, 1 ml, will lower the alk of 10 gallons of water , by 1 dkh.

So if I’m mixing up 40 gallons for a water change, and need to go from 11 to 10 alk, then 4 ml should do it?

and once that is done, in a brute 45 gallon garbage can , can the ph be returned to normal in a couple of hours if massive water movement is happening ?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so roughly, 1 ml, will lower the alk of 10 gallons of water , by 1 dkh.

So if I’m mixing up 40 gallons for a water change, and need to go from 11 to 10 alk, then 4 ml should do it?

and once that is done, in a brute 45 gallon garbage can , can the ph be returned to normal in a couple of hours if massive water movement is happening ?

Yes. That rate of pH normalization will depend on the room air CO2 level, and the degree of aeration.

I'd be sure and measure the alk after the fact. 40% sulfuric sounds quite strong for a hobby product.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back