Api test kit

cocowizzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! So I finally got my test kit in the mail after a month of back order! I just want to know what yall keep your tanks parameters at? Thease are mine. How are they? Any tips appreciated! 10 gal nano set up for about 5 months now
20180914_165735.jpeg

mike werner

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WELCOME!!Just tested mine.nh3 0.po4 .02.no3 5.0.I don't test nitrites any more sense they always read 0.ph runs around 8 to 8.2.Looks like your doing well so far.
We would like to see some pics if ya got them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cocowizzz

cocowizzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WELCOME!!Just tested mine.nh3 0.po4 .02.no3 5.0.I don't test nitrites any more sense they always read 0.ph runs around 8 to 8.2.Looks like your doing well so far.
We would like to see some pics if ya got them.
My diatoms never really went away and I have some hair alge. But i think that's cause i use tap water. Do you think that's the case?
20180914_172350.jpeg
20180914_172401.jpeg
20180914_172247.jpeg

mike werner

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It very well could be.I would run those test on your tap water.You would be surprised what's in that stuff.
I would really invest in an r/o unit.It really makes the difference in success and failure.As most here will tell ya corals and fish don't respond well to regular tap water.Depending on whats in it you could be feeding algae at an alarming rate making it a never ending battle.I 'm sure others will agree with this.

OP
OP
cocowizzz

cocowizzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It very well could be.I would run those test on your tap water.You would be surprised what's in that stuff.
I would really invest in an r/o unit.It really makes the difference in success and failure.As most here will tell ya corals and fish don't respond well to regular tap water.Depending on whats in it you could be feeding algae at an alarming rate making it a never ending battle.I 'm sure others will agree with this.
I'm gonna start getting those filterd water jugs filled at the grocery store should be a little cleaner than tap water

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just buy a rodi system, they are not that expensive and worth every penny spent. Test PO4 as well. Tap water is BAD for saltwater and reef aquairum use. API are junk but give you a general idea, I know I have used them for years. You dont need to worry about test ammonia and nitrite once the tank is cycled unless there is a major issue like lots of die off. Nitrate, po4, alk, cal, and mag are more important to test regularly. Get some better quality tests kits like the Red Sea ones or Salifert. Hanna checkers are nice too. More flow will help if you dont have a lot, you want way more than you think. If you sand is not almost getting blown around you need more flow. Regular weekly or bi weekly water changes will help with nutrient control and the algae, onlybuse 0 tds rodi to mix new saltwater. What size tank is it and do you hqve a skimmer?
Since you requested my water test results here they are from Monday, and stays very stable.
Ph 8.1
Salinity 1.024/34.5
Temp 77.8
Alk 9 dkh
Cal 400 ppm
No3 0 ppm
Po4 >.25 ppm
All test but temp and Ph and salinity are done with API Reef Master kit. Ph and temp tested with Reef Keeper and probes calibrated 3 months ago.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with about 80% of what DesertReefT4r stated. But I don't think he realized you have a 10g nano since he asked what size tank you have.

However, I disagree that API test kits are "junk". They are just as good as Salifert or Red Sea. I've used all 3 in my 15 years in the hobby. The API is to the other brands of test kits just like a hydrometer is to a refractometer. If you know what you are doing, they can be just about as accurate (certainly close enough) and easier and cheaper to use.

As for the RO/DI system, he is right, they aren't that expensive and way, WAY better than using tap water. However, you have a 10g nano system and you would use so little top off and water change water that buying saltwater from an LFS or even buying distilled water at the grocery store and making your own saltwater is probably easier and will work just as well. Spending $200 for a good RO/DI system for a 10g nano tank may not be the best way to spend your money if budget is an issue.

You absolutely do not need a skimmer for a 10g tank. A 2 gallon water change every week should be more than enough to keep all your parameters in line. Once things are stable it may only take 1g per week.

OP
OP
cocowizzz

cocowizzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with about 80% of what DesertReefT4r stated. But I don't think he realized you have a 10g nano since he asked what size tank you have.

However, I disagree that API test kits are "junk". They are just as good as Salifert or Red Sea. I've used all 3 in my 15 years in the hobby. The API is to the other brands of test kits just like a hydrometer is to a refractometer. If you know what you are doing, they can be just about as accurate (certainly close enough) and easier and cheaper to use.

As for the RO/DI system, he is right, they aren't that expensive and way, WAY better than using tap water. However, you have a 10g nano system and you would use so little top off and water change water that buying saltwater from an LFS or even buying distilled water at the grocery store and making your own saltwater is probably easier and will work just as well. Spending $200 for a good RO/DI system for a 10g nano tank may not be the best way to spend your money if budget is an issue.

You absolutely do not need a skimmer for a 10g tank. A 2 gallon water change every week should be more than enough to keep all your parameters in line. Once things are stable it may only take 1g per week.
I dont have a skimmer just a hob filter with some chato in it. I eventually will get an rodi system when I upgrade my tank. But for now I'll just start getting rodi water from the supermarket. I do a 2 gal change once a week yes. My only issues are the diatoms and hair alge. Thanks for the tips!

OP
OP
cocowizzz

cocowizzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just buy a rodi system, they are not that expensive and worth every penny spent. Test PO4 as well. Tap water is BAD for saltwater and reef aquairum use. API are junk but give you a general idea, I know I have used them for years. You dont need to worry about test ammonia and nitrite once the tank is cycled unless there is a major issue like lots of die off. Nitrate, po4, alk, cal, and mag are more important to test regularly. Get some better quality tests kits like the Red Sea ones or Salifert. Hanna checkers are nice too. More flow will help if you dont have a lot, you want way more than you think. If you sand is not almost getting blown around you need more flow. Regular weekly or bi weekly water changes will help with nutrient control and the algae, onlybuse 0 tds rodi to mix new saltwater. What size tank is it and do you hqve a skimmer?
Since you requested my water test results here they are from Monday, and stays very stable.
Ph 8.1
Salinity 1.024/34.5
Temp 77.8
Alk 9 dkh
Cal 400 ppm
No3 0 ppm
Po4 >.25 ppm
All test but temp and Ph and salinity are done with API Reef Master kit. Ph and temp tested with Reef Keeper and probes calibrated 3 months ago.
No skimmer it's a ten gal I have a hob with some chato in the extra space. I'm going to order the reef test kit next so I can test for all that. I use a hydor 240 it moves everything around fairly well. I chang 2 gal once a week. Thanks for the help!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back