Apocalypse pods in 15 gal population

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am concerned that my pods will get stuck in my filter sock (225 microns) before they can lay eggs or be eaten by tank life. Is this a concern with this verity? I have plenty of rock spaces for the larval forms though

additionally, would switching to filter floss mitigate the issue somewhat?

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reef Nutrition sorry for the ping but I think you can really help with this
Sounds like you bought the copepod, Apocyclops panamensis, from another seller. We call them Apex-Pods. Either way, echoing @Zoa_Fanatic, some of them will get caught in mechanical filtration but it's insignificant and doesn't negatively affect the overall population. Also, the nauplii of this species (larval stages) are about 70-100 micron which means they will pass right through your filter media. The adults of this species don't typically drift around like a pelagic copepods, which means the breeders are not likely to get caught in the floss or sock. This is a great copepod to have in your tank. Good choice.

Thanks for tagging me. I love to talk about copepods!

Best,
Chad

OP
OP
SlugSnorter

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you bought the copepod, Apocyclops panamensis, from another seller. We call them Apex-Pods. Either way, echoing @Zoa_Fanatic, some of them will get caught in mechanical filtration but it's insignificant and doesn't negatively affect the overall population. Also, the nauplii of this species (larval stages) are about 70-100 micron which means they will pass right through your filter media. The adults of this species don't typically drift around like a pelagic copepods, which means the breeders are not likely to get caught in the floss or sock. This is a great copepod to have in your tank. Good choice.

Thanks for tagging me. I love to talk about copepods!

Best,
Chad
Thanks for the info!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 74 45.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 45.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 15 9.1%
Back