Apollo Reef LED

Furiousreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure if anyone still using this. I have two units that I like to resurrect for my quarantine and small frag tank. Though, I do not if they required controller to power them on.

Both units came with three cables, not dim able. I plugged all three cords and all three green lights showed up. However, Only two of the three are working, the fan and blue LEDs that can switched on.
I tried to switched on/off the third switch, i assumed that for the main. That switch does nothing. Both units are the same issues. I am not sure it required any special controller to power them on. I looked online, but really can't find anything about manual.

This very same unit here.

Thank you,

P1080863.jpg

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are probably aware that Apollo is now out of business. I'm going to simplyfy the models they had....early ones were steal boxes with all Chinese components and either no controls or with manual potentiometers to adjust intensity. Later models were aluminum boxes with Meanwell drivers and needed a controller to control the lights.

Guts of older steal box version with Chinese components:

IMG_0953_zpsstpxfsyf.jpg

Guts of newer aluminum box version with Meanwells:

IMG_0098.jpg

So what ones do you have and lets take it from there?

I'm thinking you have the newer models that require a controller.

OP
OP
Furiousreefer

Furiousreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I am aware that they out of business. I just have couple units that I have sitting around that I like to resurrect. :) they were given to me a while back and I like to put them to good use.

Both unit has the ethernet jack. I suspected that they control by Apex.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep! They are the newer models. Need a controller. I'm not sure I'll be able to help considering I have the older models (that I've rebuilt and documented HERE).

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what this is worth, I just picked up a newer Apollo....just like yours....that the person (Electrical Engineer) modified to run without a controller. Now I know nothing about electronics, so maybe someone else could comment, but here are the pictures of the modification....attached to the red and white wires inside the Apollo.

The small electronic pieces have wires going outside the box and plugged into the controller plug:

The one negative with this modification is that the lights are not controllable.....they are either OFF or ON, at 100% intensity.

Sorry I can't offer any more information.

OP
OP
Furiousreefer

Furiousreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the update! I first check it with my Apex. And yes, it does requires Apex or controller to power it on. I did ask and an electrician friend to bypass as well.

One question on the MW ballast. There's a hole on it. Any particular reason for the hole in the ballast?

Best regards

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that hole was used by the manufacturer to make adjustments to the current output.....don't touch it!

Last edited:

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 19 27.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 20 29.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back