Applying a NEW thin layer of substrate to existing

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My substrate is quite dirty - green and brown, and is consistent in that it's not getting any better or worse - so it's stable in that way. I'm wondering if there's any harm if I scatter a new layer of the same substrate just enough to cover the dirty layer without any harm?

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it will just get dirty again. You need something that will sift the sand like a conch or look into your nutrients

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with above, you should get a sand stirring cleaner of some sort.
But also, you can add more sand. I recommend using whatever you did previously and prepare it similarly.

If you don't want to get a sand stirrer, you can vacuum out the junk, but you will also end up sucking up minimal sand, which in turn you can replace as well.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have bunch of nassarius snails and a sea cucumber as well as well as some ceriths that do a fairly decent job. Just dumping new in will not help really. As has been mentioned it will get dirty again fast. I should know I did that and it was looking the same very quickly.

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have bunch of nassarius snails and a sea cucumber as well as well as some ceriths that do a fairly decent job. Just dumping new in will not help really. As has been mentioned it will get dirty again fast. I should know I did that and it was looking the same very quickly.
Thanks - how many snails do you have in your tank? I'm assuming I'll need many to ensure a constant churning of the substrate by these critters?

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check out "Reefcleaners.org" he's got some cleaner packages that he put together based on your tank size. You can order from him or use it as a reference. I would recommend ordering from him, good quality and good customer service.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back