Skimmer -> Scrubber -> Outside Air….should I add a layer of carbon to the scrubber?

Z Burn's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I’m working on ph as of late. I’ve got my skimmer hooked up to a scrubber and that has gotten me to a ph of 8 to 8.1. I’m grateful to be out of the 7s since my tank is in a tight basement. Unfortunately, the media exhausts in little over a week. To address this I ran a fresh air line from outside to the scrubber air intake. After doing this ph doesn’t peak any higher, but I’ve noticed the media is lasting longer - assuming because it is scrubbing fresh air now which has less CO2.

My question is - should I add a layer of carbon to the CO2 scrubber along with the co2 media to help address the potential for air pollutants? This would be easy, but not sure if effective? I already have a screen over the outlet that sits outside to prevent larger critters from coming in, just not sure what to do about air quality. I could certainly buy another reactor to go in line, but perhaps that isn’t necessary?

As usual, thanks for any advice!

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I’m working on ph as of late. I’ve got my skimmer hooked up to a scrubber and that has gotten me to a ph of 8 to 8.1. I’m grateful to be out of the 7s since my tank is in a tight basement. Unfortunately, the media exhausts in little over a week. To address this I ran a fresh air line from outside to the scrubber air intake. After doing this ph doesn’t peak any higher, but I’ve noticed the media is lasting longer - assuming because it is scrubbing fresh air now which has less CO2.

My question is - should I add a layer of carbon to the CO2 scrubber along with the co2 media to help address the potential for air pollutants? This would be easy, but not sure if effective? I already have a screen over the outlet that sits outside to prevent larger critters from coming in, just not sure what to do about air quality. I could certainly buy another reactor to go in line, but perhaps that isn’t necessary?

As usual, thanks for any advice!
Implement recirculating CO2 scrubber - should extend the life of the media by 4x+ and don’t need to run outside air. Just make sure you have a way to auto turn off the skimmer if full.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back