Applying black vinyl to the back of the tank.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Background: So, I've applied plenty of vinyl to the back/sides/bottom of tanks in the past but this build is different.

Situation: The 270 has qty. 4 2-1/2" holes in the back that will accept an overflow.

Question: Do I apply vinyl to the whole back and then just cut it out where the holes are or do I make larger holes where the bulkhead seals are going to be so that there is no vinyl between rubber seals and glass?

How did you handle this situation. What did you do with your EMS/FQ/MM type overflow?

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I would cut about 3/4" larger than the hole so the bulkhead makes a seal directly with the glass.

So yes, cover entire panel then cut the holes, then trim an extra 3/4" around the outside

OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I would cut about 3/4" larger than the hole so the bulkhead makes a seal directly with the glass.

So yes, cover entire panel then cut the holes, then trim an extra 3/4" around the outside

Agreed. Don't put vinyl between the bulkhead (or gaskets) and the tank glass. You would be amazed how a little thing like that could cause a leak-- water always seems to find a way! :cool:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I was just hoping that somebody has done the opposite without any issues.

I would have to cut the holes before applying the vinyl as I don't want to 'score' the glass after applying vinyl to the glass.

OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Do the seals not go on the inside?

There is one seal that will go between the back of tank and external box.

I'm aware that the water will slowly travel along threads between these two but as long as there are no leaks outside of that I'm fine with it.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I was just hoping that somebody has done the opposite without any issues.

I would have to cut the holes before applying the vinyl as I don't want to 'score' the glass after applying vinyl to the glass.

If you use an ultra-sharp blade (e.g. scalpel), and press gently, I would be amazed if you 'scored' the glass. I would try it with bit of scrap vinyl stuck to another piece of glass, for peace of mind, if you are concerned. I think you would be asking for trouble cutting the holes in the vinyl before you stick it on.

Edited to add: If it was one hole you might get away with cutting it first - I wouldn't try it with multiple holes.

OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
If you use an ultra-sharp blade (e.g. scalpel), and press gently, I would be amazed if you 'scored' the glass. I would try it with bit of scrap vinyl stuck to another piece of glass, for peace of mind, if you are concerned. I think you would be asking for trouble cutting the holes in the vinyl before you stick it on.

Edited to add: If it was one hole you might get away with cutting it first - I wouldn't try it with multiple holes.

I was also thinking to apply oversized vinyl circles first then apply a full sheet of vinyl. The circles underneath would give my raised edge to cut around......I'm overthinking it, as always.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lay on your vinyl. Poke a hole with scissors at the bulkhead holes, then cut outwards like pizza slices. Cut the triangles of vinyl off in a circle, just a little bigger than your largest gasket/bulkhead.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was also thinking to apply oversized vinyl circles first then apply a full sheet of vinyl. The circles underneath would give my raised edge to cut around......I'm overthinking it, as always.

Another way is to put the vinyl on, cut the hole out and then lightly install the bulkhead backwards, and then cut around it with the scalpel. This may or may not leave a tiny gap between the edge of the bulkhead and the vinyl. I guess if that did bother you, you could just add a bit of black silicone to cover the gap.

OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Another way is to put the vinyl on, cut the hole out and then lightly install the bulkhead backwards, and then cut around it with the scalpel. This may or may not leave a tiny gap between the edge of the bulkhead and the vinyl. I guess if that did bother you, you could just add a bit of black silicone to cover the gap.
The Internal weir box will cover any oversized holes....but I'll dream about it at night LOL

OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
OK, So the wife and I were in the tank yesterday as there is no way to get behind it.

I used round pieces of transfer tape to cover the glass where the seals will "mate" with glass, perhaps too large but I checked with a template and the internal weir will cover it anyway.

The process went smooth, took more time to prepare and get up there than to apply it. I will cut the circles out tonight when the vinyl sets for 24 hours. More pics to follow.

The green tint is the protective foam sheets installed on the tank at the moment.

1629920110260.png

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back