Approaches to feeding LPS with voracious FISH

Silverfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I have been using the cut top of a 2 liter plastic bottle to feed specific LPS bc I hv a Purple tang and fox face that r glutinous.
First let me say that I feed twice a day and put out Nori nearly everyday. They just work themselves into a frenzy and want to chomp down on my coral.
Is there another easier method ?
Thanks for ur thoughts!

JustAnotherNanoTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turn off flow, feed by hand, then keep an acrylic rod, my hand, something to “whack the fish away” or keep them scared, has worked for me. I only do major LPS feedings once a week.

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed the fish a little and then the corals directly after. I generally keep 1 of my MP40s on at a very low speed so the food stays a little suspended and my more aggressive eaters (melanarus and yellow wrasse) will swipe a snack from the water around the coral instead of trying to take it from the coral itself.
And +1 on the acrylic or fiberglass rod to move the fish if they get to close. The colored rods like many use for pointers work well.

wrasse man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve tried spot feedin, but I don’t think its worth the headache. The get enough food from regular broadcast feeding of the fish. I also dose aminos and coral vitilizer from kz and everything is doing just fine.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a general feeding which will normally feed some of my LPS through can be more difficult with aggressive fish or cleaner shrimp in the tank. Sometimes I use a bribe and give the fish or shrimp a larger piece of food to distract them while I feeding LPS or anemones. I don't ever turn off flow in my tanks for feeding as I find it is a means to keep the fish active and feeds the corals at the same time.

OP
OP
Silverfish

Silverfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everybody for your great feedback!
Sometimes I would really like to give my Tang a whack?! Wait....What?
Anyways....
StaySafe

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 23 16.9%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 57 41.9%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 17 12.5%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 5.1%
Back