APS-C or Full-frame?

Extract1ng

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to invest in a new camera over the next few holidays to take pictures of corals/frags and my tank. I am a total beginner in photography but recent photos and videos i've seen have inspired me to get myself a camera. What would be the better setup to have, APS-C or Full frame?

I've checked out the Canon EOS R7 and Canon EOS R8 and while it may be overkill, they seem like they would last a lifetime and be great in other scenarios of taking family pictures, landscape and traveling as well. But the question remains, one is APS-C and the other is a Full frame, but I don't have the slightest clue as to which one would be the better to take pictures and videos of my reef tank. Any input on cameras, lenses, and the frame size would be greatly appreciated :)

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to invest in a new camera over the next few holidays to take pictures of corals/frags and my tank. I am a total beginner in photography but recent photos and videos i've seen have inspired me to get myself a camera. What would be the better setup to have, APS-C or Full frame?

I've checked out the Canon EOS R7 and Canon EOS R8 and while it may be overkill, they seem like they would last a lifetime and be great in other scenarios of taking family pictures, landscape and traveling as well. But the question remains, one is APS-C and the other is a Full frame, but I don't have the slightest clue as to which one would be the better to take pictures and videos of my reef tank. Any input on cameras, lenses, and the frame size would be greatly appreciated :)
The full frame has better low light sensitivity.
Aps cameras will be smaller.

TiggerMillions

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So given the average tank lighting parameters, the full frame would indeed be better?
It will also depend on ur budget. If you are taking corals/fish in daylight APS-C is fine. If you are taking fluorescent shots. It will be a combination of a good low-light sensor(can be APS-C) + a fast lens + a tripod + correct camera settings + trial & error.

TBH, if you are doing coral only. A flagship phone that's waterproof + a filter is great!

Brymac1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If budget is no issue go with full frame. But if it is I’d recommend going with the crop sensor and investing in a good lens or two. You don’t want to put all your money into an expensive full frame body and not have enough budget left for a decent lens.

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the OM System TG-7. It's nearly identical to the TG-6, which has been available for years. Small frame and built for dive photos. Does great in a marine environment. And relatively inexpensive considering alternatives.

OP
OP
Extract1ng

Extract1ng

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If budget is no issue go with full frame. But if it is I’d recommend going with the crop sensor and investing in a good lens or two. You don’t want to put all your money into an expensive full frame body and not have enough budget left for a decent lens.
It will also depend on ur budget. If you are taking corals/fish in daylight APS-C is fine. If you are taking fluorescent shots. It will be a combination of a good low-light sensor(can be APS-C) + a fast lens + a tripod + correct camera settings + trial & error.

TBH, if you are doing coral only. A flagship phone that's waterproof + a filter is great!
I do want to spend a little more money on a camera and lens that I won't have the need to replace anytime soon.

forge55b

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally speaking full frame is better.
Link below gives a decent summary with examples. But the lens matters more than the frame in my opinion.

OP
OP
Extract1ng

Extract1ng

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally speaking full frame is better.
Link below gives a decent summary with examples. But the lens matters more than the frame in my opinion.

Thats amazing, thanks for that info!

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go full frame.
A crop sensor camera and lenses are definitely a fraction of the price, yet one experience grows fast if serious about photography and u quickly experience the limitations and the reduction of image quality vs full frame glass. Switching back to full frame after a 1st body with crop sensor and also after invested in some lenses means paying twice as resell value on cameras and lenses is horrible.
the real advantage for crop sensor is bird photography, wildlife and sports photography where the cropped sensor gives u a 1.5 x the focal length of ur lense. Yet with major manufacturers lately releasing mid range zooms at
150-600 4.5-5.6 Nikon
150-600 5-6.3 Sony
100-800 6.3-9 Canon
Those lenses offset the saving on cropnsensor lenses and are close to the quality you get with fixed F4 options at 1/3 of the price so I basically don't see the advantage if a crop sensor as the reach is already covered at an average price range and decent quality.

OP
OP
Extract1ng

Extract1ng

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go full frame.
A crop sensor camera and lenses are definitely a fraction of the price, yet one experience grows fast if serious about photography and u quickly experience the limitations and the reduction of image quality vs full frame glass. Switching back to full frame after a 1st body with crop sensor and also after invested in some lenses means paying twice as resell value on cameras and lenses is horrible.
the real advantage for crop sensor is bird photography, wildlife and sports photography where the cropped sensor gives u a 1.5 x the focal length of ur lense. Yet with major manufacturers lately releasing mid range zooms at
150-600 4.5-5.6 Nikon
150-600 5-6.3 Sony
100-800 6.3-9 Canon
Those lenses offset the saving on cropnsensor lenses and are close to the quality you get with fixed F4 options at 1/3 of the price so I basically don't see the advantage if a crop sensor as the reach is already covered at an average price range and decent quality.
Thank you very much! I appreciate everyones help greatly.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back